Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV NOW and LIVE ABC

DirecTV NOW and LIVE ABC

When I signed up for DirecTV NOW through a deal with AT&T, I checked to see if I could get a local station (ABC).  For almost 2 years,m I was able to get "LIVE" ABC and then a few months ago, I suddenly couldn't receive it.  I contacted ABC and was told my IP address had changed and I can no longer get LIVE ABC.

I didn't move so how did my IP address change?

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Shadowna61
‎05-13-2018 5:30 AM

Re: DirecTV NOW and LIVE ABC

If it changed, then it was due to your ISP provider moved it. Can you get the local on your cell phone?

Your cell phone uses GPS to determine your device location. GPS knows exactly where you are located. Your computer uses your IP address for device location. So if you receive the local then either your IP is not in the local location based on your billing zip code to receive the local or the geolocation services used by DTVN (as do the other streaming services) has miss-identified you as not being in the local area.

Go here to see what some of the geolocation services may think your IP is located.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6

Thank-you bcbsncjlj for helping me understand, or at least I did after reading your reply.  BUT, 2 days after I read your reply,  I found I was receiving ABC LIVE again.  Still scratching my head but I will survive.

Thanks again. Cat Happy

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Master

For devices that don't have their own mechanisms to find their location (and that includes Rokus), DirecTV Now (and many other companies) use a service (provided by a number of third parties) that attempts to determine your device's physical location from its IP address (which your ISP assigns and can - usually transparently to you - change whenever they wish).  Unfortunately, this is not a particularly reliable or accurate process - the companies that provide the service use a variety of techniques, but it is basically a guess based on data or clues that they acquire.  It is usually good enough to find the correct general region of the country, often good enough to localize to a state, but as the level of accuracy needed goes up, the reliability of it being correct at that accuracy goes down - when you get down to a particular city or smaller, it is often very iffy, since it depends on the companies being able to find enough (and accurate enough) clues and in many cases those don't exist.  As time passes and more clues are (usually, but not always) produced by your usage, the accuracy of the companies' guesses often improves.  (Unfortunately, while your ISP knows exactly where the device is - since they installed your internet at a specific location - that information is not available directly from them, for a variety of good reasons.)   

DTVN needs a pretty accurate location (at least to within a media market, which is generally some set of counties) in order to supply local channels - this is required by their content licenses and the FCC - and for reasons we don't know they seem to actually demand an even more accurate location (within a couple of zip codes?), so if the location they are provided is not correct at that level of accuracy, they won't give the device the locals.  This is where the IP address changing comes in - as I said, your ISP can change your device's IP address whenever they want (and there are reasons why they occasionally do this), and when that happens, the process of determining the location starts over.  This probably is what happened to you - your device had an address that was correctly localized, but at some point your ISP changed the address, and the new address did not map to the same location (at least initially).  More recently, either the location company finally gathered enough clues for your address that it started reporting your location correctly (enough), or your ISP changed your address again, and this one either mapped correctly or (more likely) picked up useful clues faster.  The problem is that the same thing can happen again at any time - ISPs generally don't change the addresses of things very often, but it does happen and there's no way to predict when it will happen.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6

Thanks so much,  

Message 5 of 6
Tutor

So, I tried to chat with my ISP provider, and they wouldn't provide any information or help since I don't get TV service from them.  I'm thinking they can do this on purpose to get people frustrated enough to go back to their TV services?

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support