Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Data usage when using phone as hot spot and fire stick

Data usage when using phone as hot spot and fire stick

I was told by the AT&T representative at the AT&T store in Clermont, Florida that my data would not be used when I was using DirecTV through my phone as a hot spot. Not true?

Doesn't seem to matter that much as I will go way over my data limit again in December just watching the Golden State Warriors and Monday night football. Data usage as reported by MyAT&T.

Message 1 of 8
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by davisstraub
‎12-20-2016 5:20 AM

Re: Data usage when using phone as hot spot and fire stick

It has to be used directly on a device. Hotspot does not work for DirecTV data free usage. You must be inside the DirecTV application on a phone or tablet in order for it to work.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
ACE - Expert

@davisstraub I though it was as long as you ran it on one of the apps ON A MOBILE DEVICE, the cellular data doesn't count.

The DirecTV Now apps on these MOBILE devices over cellular should be free https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/212914066-Will-AT-T-Wireless-subscribers-incur-data-us...

This page never says the device has to have the cellular built in. PLUS, it lists the iPod Touch (which never had a cellular version).

I've see a few people mention it, including two of the ACEs. Here we go https://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messaging-Features-Internet/Directv-stream-free-with-tethering/m-p/49... (although that might have specifically been the DirecTV app).

And it's in the sponsored data faq  https://www.att.com/att/sponsoreddata/en/index.html#tab2

Does AT&T Sponsored Data work when I’m in a tethering session or using a mobile hotspot?
Yes. AT&T Sponsored Data works when a customer is connected domestically to AT&T’s network on an eligible device and rate plan, including when on a tethering session via smartphone, tablet, or mobile hotspot.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

@davisstraub To be clear I'm saying for a mobile device YES, it should NOT use data when tethering/hotpost. It does not when I use my iPad (I tried it myself).

I believe for something like a firestick or AppleTV DOES USE DATA. It's not on the exemption list that I linked to above and I haven't heard of anyone doing it successfully.

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8

Thanks. I guess the AT&T guy (who was skeptical) was misinformed.
Message 5 of 8

So I guess that if I am using my phone, let's say, as a hotspot for say my computer, I can watch the game on the phone through the DirecTV Now App (and not use data), and do other work on the computer (which uses data), but not watch the game on the computer without using data.

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

@davisstraub wrote:

So I guess that if I am using my phone, let's say, as a hotspot for say my computer, I can watch the game on the phone through the DirecTV Now App (and not use data), and do other work on the computer (which uses data), but not watch the game on the computer without using data.

Sounds right to me.

Better yet would be to connect a tablet with the DTVNow app to the hotspot; if you did this a lot, it might be worth picking up a cheap tablet...

Message 7 of 8

Well, I do have a tablet and I will use it to watch the games (tonight, the Warriors playing on NBA TV, for example), and as the tablet works fine on the AT&T network, no need to use the phone with it.
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support