Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: DVR recording

Mentor

DVR recording

I'm wondering if this is a known issue.  Only some shows/movies give the option to record.  Is that normal?  I'm also wondering how I record a series?

Message 1 of 12
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by fr0st42
‎03-26-2018 2:03 PM

If you are asking about the DTVN beta versions: They have indicated that there are some restrictions related to what can be recorded in the beta.  They haven't said what the final capabilities will be when it is released - whether there will still be any restrictions on what can be recorded, and if so, what those restrictions will be.  You can submit feedback on the issues you see - unlikely that they will explicitly say whether those are expected or bugs.  As far as recording a series - for most things that are part of a series, when you set a recording on a particular episode, you will then be asked if you want to record the series.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 12
Mentor

Thank you for the answer.  That makes sense.  So far I've been noticing that content I'm unable to record is already on demand.  I just started to use the beta.  I can't wait to start using it more.

Message 3 of 12
Teacher

Just remember -  it is a Beta.  And while there is a lot of good, there is still some bad and even a bit of ugly.  Beta is all about getting the bad and ugly fixed; not necessarily the best entertainment experience.

Message 4 of 12
Mentor

I get that.  I beta test phone software and hardware.  They should really have a dedicated beta area in the forum for bug submissions .I already see a couple.

Message 5 of 12
Contributor

Okay, so... I could use the ability for DVR beta or not. I'm one of those guys that drive a Big Rig to all lower 48. DVR of any kind would be a blessing. So, can you beta folks hook me up?  God I hope so, I miss too many of my favorite shows hauling freight across this great country of ours.

thnx.

Pete J. Whitaker

United States Army (retired)

Message 6 of 12
ACE - Master

It doesn't work that way - other users can't make you part of the test.  This beta is a closed (invitation only) test, and the reports are that they aren't inviting any more testers.  (Perhaps because they are pretty close to releasing the new apps - we don't know.)  If your account isn't marked for the beta (meaning you were invited), you won't be able to log into the beta apps (or website).  (This is as opposed to an "open" beta test, where anyone can participate.  That isn't really a beta test - it is just an early release where you aren't supposed to complain too much if you run into problems...)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Scholar

As of yesterday I am able to log into the beta and I wasn't invited.

Message 8 of 12
Scholar

I could use a beta invite too!

Message 9 of 12
Tutor

I have the Roku Ultra and am now, for the most part enjoying my DirecTV Now experience.

Except. Pausing live TV is hit or miss. Sometimes it pauses, sometimes it just sort of stops the stream with a graphic of the show and starts live when you press play. This is NOT pausing. Also there is no Extend time on recordings. I've had 3-4 shows with the ending clipped because of this. No FF when you go to the beginning of a live show. Yet that same show, recorded, allows me to skip forward.

Only one favorite list. Not a fan of that. I pay for three streams, why not 3 lists?

Message 10 of 12

My experience with the DVR has not been good:

- Shows have vary variable quality with a lot of pixelation.

- Shows skip (i.e. short segments become missing).

- As has been pointed out, not ability to extend the start or end-time.

I am experimenting with PlayOn as an alternative, but that is having issues playing DTN. PlayOn records locally and so the quality is much better.

Message 11 of 12

I checked out Sling and for a little less money, I can get the same channels, 50 hours of dvr and easier recording. They shouldn't offer a service that has so many bugs in it. It cuts off the end of shows, doesn't let you record others, and records every show of of a specific series, even if you only want the new ones. I recorded new episodes of Alaskan Bush Family and it recorded shows from past seasons and used up all 20 hours of my DVR. I'm paid up for a month and if not fixed, will switch to Sling and see how that goes. I like Direct tv now but not all the glitches.

It even records shows that I never watch........on it's own!

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support