Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTVNOW Location Error

Contributor

DIRECTVNOW Location Error

App says i need to turn on my location but when i do i cant stream live shows still

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: DIRECTVNOW Location Error

...and you never will without location services on. I would contact support using the chat for help with your issues.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
ACE - Master

Assuming this is an Apple device there are two places you need to enable location services, under "Privacy" and for the app itself.

I am assuming you are in the USA and are not using a VPN.

What happens when you try to stream? Any error code or message?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5
Contributor

I have contacted directv now twice because they can't seem to give me my local channels. I am going to cancel the service since they are incompetent and they have no telephone number to call them. I even gave them my ip address and they still cant get it right. Awful! I see one of the local channels on my phone but keep getting location errors!

Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

They know your IP address - it comes attached to every data packet from you to them, and they need to know it in order to send you data back.  That, however, is fairly irrelevant - your IP address is a "virtual" sort of thing - it doesn't correspond to a physical location.  (If it did, none of these problems would happen, although there would be all kinds of other problems...)  For devices like smart phones this doesn't matter - the phone has mechanisms to tell where it is, so it can report this accurately to DTVN, unrelated to the IP address.  However, for devices that don't have such mechanisms, they are limited to using the services of IP geolocation companies, which attempt to "guess" (though they wouldn't phrase it that way) your device's location from its IP address using a variety of methods and clues they gather.  Sometimes they are able to provide a very accurate guess - other times, not so much.  Little if any of this has anything to do with DTVN, at least until they get a location estimate from the IP geo company.  It is up to DTVN how they use the location info they get - in particular, what level of error/uncertainly might be considered OK, and what to do if there are multiple choices of DMA due to the uncertainty.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support