Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTVNOW Location Error

Community Support

DIRECTVNOW Location Error

Location Services

DIRECTV NOW requires locations services to be on to provide the streaming service.

If your locations services are off, you may be presented with a screen asking to enable it.

Error Screen 1.png Error Screen 2.png

For iPhone:

1. Tap Privacy > Location Services
  2. Scroll down and tap DIRECTV NOW
  3. Decide to allow location access Never or While Using the App

For Android:

1. Open your device's Settings app Settings.
  2. Under "Personal," tap Location and then Mode.
  3. Choose High accuracy or Battery saving. Both modes use Wi-Fi and cellular networks to determine location.

Still getting an error?

Error Screen 3.png

• Force close the application and restart it.
  • Restart your device.
  • Try connecting to a different internet connection.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 49
Mentor

Re: DIRECTVNOW Location Error

I hear all of you. I'm trialing unlocator right now. Since the update, my locals switched from Washington dc market to salt lake city, utah on a roku device. Checking multiple sources for ip geo the responses vary from utah to my town, Cumberland, MD. However, using my laptop at home where the roku is located, my locals are correct through directv now. I've been in chats for weeks now because there's a preseason football game I'd like to watch thursday, but it won't be on in Salt Lake, lol.

Message 31 of 49
ACE - Master

DTVN would probably consider Unlocate to be a VPN (though it isn't really) and cut you off if they detect it.

Just a word to the wise.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 49
Mentor

It really didn't work anyway. And smartdnsproxy, even using the dns they list as east coast switches all my locals to LA

Message 33 of 49
ACE - Master

I took a look. They do not list DTVN as "supported", and I'd guess it would be iffy, and probably countered in short order if it did work.

The only thing that looked interesting to me was the ability to get the BBC iPlayer here, but as that would be illegal I will forgo that for the time being. I once tried to buy a legal license for that in the US but was told it was simply not possible.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 49
Mentor

oh no, it's there, at the very bottom.

Message 35 of 49
Contributor

Does anyone know what service they get their info from?  I checked 3 major services and two of the three got it right.  The third has me located in Eugene, OR which is 2 hours away.  That would make sense why I can't get ABC or NBC because I should be able to get an OTA antenna signal if I were there.  The FOX feed has now been reporting the local Eugene news.  So far, the only thing I could think of is to reach out directly to the company that is reporting the incorrect info to try and get it fixed.

Message 36 of 49
ACE - Master

A chat agent once told a user to check their location here:

https://www.ip-tracker.org/

I don't know if that means that's the vendor they use. They may use multiple vendors. But that vendor does show the same (incorrect) location that I used to see on my Rokus back when you were allowed to see your geolocated zip code (pre 2.0).

Message 37 of 49
Mentor

Yeah, it's a very unreliable way to do things. Honestly, I've tested a few alternative ways to mask an i.p. address and it is much easier to get local channels from New York and L.A. than where I live, lol.  My i.p. address gets me my locals from Salt Lake City and I'm in Maryland.

Message 38 of 49

Time to ditch the Roku and buy an Apple TV I guess. 

Message 39 of 49
Mentor

I'm about to cancel DTVN because of this.  I use AT&T LTE to provide internet to my whole house, I'm outside of St Louis.  This connection apparently gives me a Chicago-based IP address.  So, I get Chicago local channels, not St Louis. They need to use the billing address, not the IP address.  Youtube TV uses the address of my Google account, not IP address, so it can be done.

Message 40 of 49

I too am near St Louis and I don't have that issue.  But, I do have location services enabled on my devices.  And, I replaced my Roku devices with Apple TVs.  Now I don't have any issues at all.

Message 41 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

... and that would be

-only a GPS (service able) device, can a user reliably depend on DTVN to deliver accurate local network affiliates/RSN's -really nationwide and I can say very well.

Message 42 of 49
Tutor

In regard to local channels, has anyone noticed that if you record a station like NBC, it will record the correct local channel, but it won't let me watch that channel live. Weird!

I'm also having trouble watching anything on my Fire tablet. It thinks my location services are turned off even though it is turned on. Frustrating.

Message 43 of 49
Tutor

The IP tracker found my correct location near West Palm beach. But when I run a comcast speed test, it says my host is Miami, which corresponds to the local stations that I get live.  DTVN must be using the host for live local stations and the IP address for recording.  They need to figure this out.

Message 44 of 49

I had this issue in the beginning. My billing zip and IP zip both fell under San Antonio market but for some reason i was receiving Austin channels. After several customer service chats and alot of account credits, the issue was resolved. I was told the local channels was a known error. I suggest contacting them everyday about it. It will get fixed.
Message 45 of 49
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support