Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTVNOW Location Error

Community Support

DIRECTVNOW Location Error

Location Services

DIRECTV NOW requires locations services to be on to provide the streaming service.

If your locations services are off, you may be presented with a screen asking to enable it.

Error Screen 1.png Error Screen 2.png

For iPhone:

1. Tap Privacy > Location Services
  2. Scroll down and tap DIRECTV NOW
  3. Decide to allow location access Never or While Using the App

For Android:

1. Open your device's Settings app Settings.
  2. Under "Personal," tap Location and then Mode.
  3. Choose High accuracy or Battery saving. Both modes use Wi-Fi and cellular networks to determine location.

Still getting an error?

Error Screen 3.png

• Force close the application and restart it.
  • Restart your device.
  • Try connecting to a different internet connection.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 49

Re: DIRECTVNOW Location Error

Yes so my billing zip and ip location, although different zip codes, fall
under the same market, i am not receiving the correct locals. So it
appears this is a Directv now issue and not mine.
Message 16 of 49

Yes it is. They need to go by billing zip code instead of IP address. My IP changes servers which constantly changed my locals. That’s the reason I canceled DirecTV Now. That and the fact it is impossible to talk to a human for issues. Only chat or user based troubleshooting is available.
Message 17 of 49

I would simply ask them to use my billing zip code as my location. I know this won’t work in all instances, such as mobile devices, but it would work for my Roku. You are correct that the issue is with Roku. It makes the service useless for me. My IP pings in multiple markets. Sometimes I get locals that are 150+ miles away making the weather and news useless.
Message 18 of 49

I use the fire stick. Yes ive talked to Directv now several times and the issue was escalated to tech support...7 days ago. You would think that directv now will authorize all zips for that market based on your billing zip to mitigate dynamic ips that change. I live in San Antonio and im getting Austin channels even though my billing zip and ip zip falls under San Antonio. I didnt have this issue with Playstation Vue and only reason i switched to Directv now was because they had the 4 big locals.
Message 19 of 49
ACE - Master

"They need to go by billing zip code instead of IP address."

The problem with that is they know people will lie, cheat, steal and murder to get the local and sports programming they want.  Plenty of people have set up CC accounts with distant billing addresses to try to get the team they want. DTVN simply will not rely on any information the customer can control.

I have to wonder how many of the "since the upgrade I'm not getting XYZ local"  complaints are from people who were receiving it improperly in the first place. It's hard to believe all those location errors would always be against the subscriber and never in his or her favor.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 49

Yeah well in my case, both zips are under the same local market for san antonio. Not sure how they figure why i would get austin locals.
Message 21 of 49
ACE - Expert

Do you get the correct ones on your mobile device?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 49
ACE - Master

Might depend on what vendor they use for geolocation services. Of the major providers two show me in my correct city, the rest show various other locations, ranging up to 400 miles from my actual location.

See what they say about you:

https://www.iplocation.net/

Message 23 of 49

Since the update I have lost all my locals.  I received the locals before. Direct tv zip lookup indicates the locals I should receive. Even with my phone on LTE which should report my GPS location. It still doesn’t work. So the database they are using isn’t correct. I’ve sent them my GPS info. Still nothing has changed. Going on over a month now. 

I thought one of the advantages this update allowed is receiving locals even while roaming. So that must me tied to the billing zip code but obviously that isn’t working. Also for years the sat companies have relied on billing zip for locals so why would it need to be different for streaming. 

Message 24 of 49
ACE - Master

"Also for years the sat companies have relied on billing zip for locals so why would it need to be different for streaming. "

They rely on more than that. They have physically installed identifiable equipment at a particular address, and know where that is. If you connect your phone line to your receiver they can confirm you are still at that location any time they like.

The sat carriers learned long ago they can't rely on any information that comes from or is controlled by the subscriber.

Message 25 of 49

You might be correct in your situation. But I ordered my sat online, installed it myself, didn't hook it up to the telephone line and still received my locals.  This was with dish network.

Do you know how they plan on implementing receiving locals while roaming?

Message 26 of 49

Yes because mobile devices have gps
Message 27 of 49

Perhaps I misunderstood, yes mobile devices have GPS.  But I thought version 2.0 update allowed you to be in a different state and still receive your local channels.  

Message 28 of 49
ACE - Expert

Only if at your location you receive the networks where you are travelling to. If you get ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox then if the travelling location has them you can receive them. They have worked for me recently travelling.

Message 29 of 49
ACE - Master

At least they know where they shipped the gear, though that doesn't mean you necessarily installed it there.

I believe there are some restrictions on what you can get if you don't connect your receiver to a phone line, not sure, it's been a decade since I had DISH.

Back then I was able to get NYC locals here in Wyoming by getting a waiver letter from our local station, I have no idea if that's possible any more.

Message 30 of 49
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support