Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: DIRECTVNOW Location Error

Community Support

DIRECTVNOW Location Error

Location Services

DIRECTV NOW requires locations services to be on to provide the streaming service.

If your locations services are off, you may be presented with a screen asking to enable it.

Error Screen 1.png Error Screen 2.png

For iPhone:

1. Tap Privacy > Location Services
  2. Scroll down and tap DIRECTV NOW
  3. Decide to allow location access Never or While Using the App

For Android:

1. Open your device's Settings app Settings.
  2. Under "Personal," tap Location and then Mode.
  3. Choose High accuracy or Battery saving. Both modes use Wi-Fi and cellular networks to determine location.

Still getting an error?

Error Screen 3.png

• Force close the application and restart it.
  • Restart your device.
  • Try connecting to a different internet connection.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 49
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by topic author Community Support
Accepted by ATTTVNOWHelp
‎11-30-2016 10:24 AM

If the above does not help, visit our help center here

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 49
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and Apple TV? Where are the steps to enable location services on those devices?
Message 3 of 49
Scholar

There is no location services persee on the Fire TV devices ..location for device is determined by

SETTINGS  >SYSTEM >  SCROLL DOWN TO LOCATION > ZIP CODE    There is also a time zone setting 

The FIRE Devices are also tied to your Amazon account which has your account profile information ..(I don't know if that is used or not)

Message 4 of 49
Teacher

What about amazon fire tv? Says I'm outside us, worked fine yesterday, now it stopped working...

Message 5 of 49
Scholar

Double check your zip code information on the fire tv box ..

double check and make sure your amazon account info is correct.

Are you on a vpn by any chance?  (just curious if this will work on vpn)

Here are the apps permissions .. it must be getting location data from one of these

• Access fine (e.g., GPS) location
  • Access coarse (e.g., Cell-ID, Wi-Fi) location
  • Open network sockets
  • Access information about networks
  • PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming
  • Access information about Wi-Fi networks

Message 6 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

All my settings are correct. The Directv Now app needs to ask me when I sign into the app for the first time where I am located and then retain those settings.

Message 7 of 49
Scholar

All I can say as long as your information you put into the fire tv box and you signed up with directv now with the same zip and all your info is correct  then that is all you can do .. DirectTV Now must have something honked on their end .. and not being able to contact any support of any kind makes it really difficult

Message 8 of 49
Teacher

Doesn't work for Amazon Fire TV....

Message 9 of 49
Teacher

Why location services are required? I do not see a good technical reason for that. Seems like collection of un-necessary information for purposes other than providing TV service.

There is not way I will let Directvnow to collect this data. It is already enough that AT&T has this information, at least they are under CPNI. Don't we have enough data breaches already?

Screenshot_20161221-110840.png

Message 10 of 49

Come on AT&T!  Answer this!  Location services are completely messed up on Roku. It won’t go by billing zip code. It uses ISP zip code, which changes multiple times a day. Fix this issue

Message 11 of 49

Fix the issue with Roku!  DirecTV now uses the ISP location zip code to determine locals, and not the billing zip code. This is terrible!  ISP locations change all the time between cities. This is a stupid problem. Fix it!

Message 12 of 49

I understand how it works. CBS’s streaming service is the same as well. I just think the practice is a “fail” on the part of providers and want it changed. It’s unnecessary if your billing address is the same as your location address.
Message 13 of 49

What about the firestick.  I have set the location in preferences and still i get local channel issues.

Message 14 of 49
ACE - Expert

DTVN doesn't care what location you set in the preferences - that is used by Amazon for selling you things, reporting local weather, and things like that.  They need (because of their licenses) a location determination that isn't under the control of the user (because, frankly, users lie - in order to get locals and sports from areas they prefer).  Unfortunately, while some devices are good about reporting their location correctly, Fire and Roku (among others) don't have any mechanisms to find or report their location, so DTVN is limited to using IP geolocation (buying a service from outside companies who attempt to determine the location of a device knowing only the device's IP address), and that is known to be relatively unreliable and inaccurate.  Unfortunately, right now there aren't better alternatives available.  (Beyond that, DTVN currently seems to be having some additional local channel bugs related to the new release - one hopes those get worked out soon.)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 49
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support