Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV now and Roku

Tutor

DIRECTV now and Roku

Cannot get DirectTv Now app to work with my Roku 3. So I went out and bought Roku Premiere plus. Still not able to get the app to work.
For some reason it no longer works on my iPhone when I am connected to wireless internet. The app works when I am away from wireless internet and using my
I am able to use Netflix through my Roku but not Direct TV now.
Anyone have similar problem?
Message 1 of 7

Re: DIRECTV now and Roku

Only thing I can suggest is to uninstall and reinstall the app.  If that doesn't work you can try to factory reset your roku, but that's a pain because you have to reinstall all the apps and resign in to all of them.

Message 2 of 7
Tutor

Hi-
Thanks for the assistance. I have tried reinstalling the app several times. No luck. The Roku is new right out of the box. Installed the firmware update. Still not able to get the app to work.
It is odd that the app works on my phone only when I am away from my house not using my home wifi. All my other apps; Netflix etc. work using my home wifi this is only one to give trouble.
I'll keep trying a few more days. If not able to work on my home network I will have to cancel.
Thanks again.
Message 3 of 7
ACE - Master

If nothing works with your home (wired) internet - even on your phone - but everything works fine on your phone when on mobile data, that says to me that there likely is an issue with either your internet service or your wifi. It sounds like something is being filtered or blocked, like by a firewall. Depending on what sort of internet service you have, if you have a computer that you can wire directly to a modem - bypassing the router - and see if that works, you may be able to tell if it's an issue with your ISP or your router.  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
Scholar

It's not the Roku. I have both a 3 and Premier+ running fine. The 3 is wired, the Premier on 5gHz band. I agree with @Jrandomuser, there's something more evil lurking about.

Message 5 of 7
Tutor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by PAL3204
‎08-28-2017 3:31 AM

SOLUTION:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. So here is the simple solution to this:  The Direct TV Now service is NOT yet supported by internet providers in Puerto Rico. I have a local internet service provider in my apartment here in PR.  That is why I can only get it while using my data plan on my phone. This is so funny because the reason I ended up at AT &T is because my Verizon cell service is practically nonexistent here in PR and I needed a reliable phone service. AT&T has complete island wide coverage. I got a great pay as you go cell plan and cheap flip phone since I spend a lot of time traveling down here. 

I saw an AT&T kiosk while in a mall in San Juan the other day and asked the salesman. He said the service is coming ...soon. Anyone familiar with how quickly things move down here knows that is code for 'probably not in my lifetime!!'   That's ok. This island has so much to offer don't really have much time for tv anyway. 

The hard sell by the guy at home convincing me I could not live without Direct TV Now makes me laugh now.  Going to have to educate him when I get back home next week. 

Thanks again everyone to the help. 

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Master

"Puerto Rico" was the missing bit of info.  It has nothing to do with internet providers - DirecTV Now service has never been available outside the 50 states, due to licensing restrictions on the content by the content providers.  This is explicitly stated in the online Help/FAQ pages (specific page here).  The phrasing does imply that this could possibly change in the future, but that is a very vague hope.  I am surprised that you can get DTVN service while on mobile data - your phone is still not in the valid territory, and "knows it", due to GPS.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support