Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV NOW New TV Experience

Community Support

DIRECTV NOW New TV Experience

We’ve been looking forward to telling you about the new TV experience - and here's what you need to know.

SO WHAT’S DIFFERENT

• True Cloud DVR (BETA).
    • Every package automatically gets 20 Hours of free recording storage.
    • You can also skip quickly through commercials with your next generation digital recorder.
    • Functions may be limited in beta. Compatible device required. Not available for select channels. Data connection required. Recordings expire after 30 days.
    • If you’re coming up on your 20 hours limit, you will be notified. If you exceed, the first recorded program listed will be removed to make room for the newest one.
    • How to manage recordings with True Cloud DVR
  • Streaming, Plus One.
    • You now have the option to add a third stream to your account for $5 a month, so three people can be logged in and stream all at once.
    • Keep in mind that streaming a recorded program, VOD, and third party apps also counts as a stream.
    • How to upgrade your plan
  • Extra Sweet Stuff.
    • Travel with your Locals – granted the local is also available in the market you’re traveling to, you can now stream your local channels when you travel.
    • Less Searching, More Streaming – find favorite shows and movies faster with customizable search.
    • Entertainment, Uninterrupted – you’ll never miss a beat with our new layout, because your stream will be playing in the background, or on a pop-up.

Stay tuned for more good news!

- DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 323
Tutor

Re: DIRECTV NOW New TV Experience

OK, I was able to get into the app by changing my AT&T password.  But when I try to view a program it says I have "too many streams open."  I have ZERO streams open.

What to do?

Message 31 of 323
Guru

I understand. I've been in a bit of self-imposed exile here because I've been using the beta and it's been really hard dealing with the 1.0 app. It really is that much better, even if might not look so on first blush.

As for the DVR... this is my personal experience and it will vary from person to person, but my DVRs have always filled up with stuff I mean to watch but never quite get around to it. If it's on there 30 days unwatched, it's about 99% certain I'm never getting around to it, eventually deleting it to make room to record something else I don't get around to watching.

Message 32 of 323
Teacher

@kevkrom

Example. I like to record Law & Order, Law & Order: Criminal Intent - my mom likes to watch these programs but 20 hours is like 2-3 days at best because they're on all the time. Add anything else and programs are deleted before you can even watch. And the 5 for a 3rd stream really stinks.

Message 33 of 323
Community Support

@bcbsncjlj @Anonymous - So basically you can watch the local channels in the city you are visiting.

Example: I have CW in my home zip code in Los Angeles, when I travel to Dallas for work I can view Dallas CW local channel on my DIRECTV NOW app. That being said, blackout rules and network restrictions still apply and recording functionality on locals is restricted while outside of your home zip code.

*Example 2: If you don't have CW in your home zip, it will not be available in Dallas when you travel there.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 34 of 323
Community Support

@jflnyc - go incognito mode (ctrl + shift + N) or clear cache and cookies. Your browser is probably reverting back to the previous one. Try this and let us know if you're new experience pops up!

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Message 35 of 323
Anonymous
Not applicable

“So basically you can watch the local channels in the city you are visiting.”

Thanks, very cool, approaching Dallas in a day, I’ll checkout that CW, as well as the Affiliates, we should then receive the Dallas local CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX as I would at home?

... about time a service did this, a kudo here!

Message 36 of 323
ACE - Expert

Well I am guessing that is true only if that local is authorized with DirecTV based on the viewing device location. Still a lot to absorb yet.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 37 of 323
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah some variables there, I’m just amazed they are trying to do it. I believe that’s a first in the Industry. They caught me off guard. 

Message 38 of 323
Contributor

I tried to record "Tyler Perrys Meet the browns" season. I was given two options, record all episodes or record new episodes. When i tried "Record new episodes" it gave me an error, when i tried "record all episodes" it worked.

Message 39 of 323
ACE - Master

I'm unlikely to pay for a third stream because I live alone, but I probably would pay for more than 20 hours and/or a longer retention period for the DVR.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 323
ACE - Master

@Anonymous - not a first.  YouTube TV also indicates (and has perhaps from the start) that you get (with restrictions) whatever locals they support wherever you are traveling.  No idea how well that works.

Message 41 of 323
ACE - Expert

@ATTTVNOWHelp wrote:

@bcbsncjlj @Anonymous - So basically you can watch the local channels in the city you are visiting.

Example: I have CW in my home zip code in Los Angeles, when I travel to Dallas for work I can view Dallas CW local channel on my DIRECTV NOW app. That being said, blackout rules and network restrictions still apply and recording functionality on locals is restricted while outside of your home zip code.

*Example 2: If you don't have CW in your home zip, it will not be available in Dallas when you travel there.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Thank you for this clarification.  What I had assumed is that this basically let your billing zip code and your location zip code be different and your locals still worked, so long as you were still in the same market with the exact same TV station.  But you're saying you can watch a network as long as that network's affiliate in your local market and the affiliate in the remote market are both on-board with DTVN (with a few, uh, provisos, a couple of quid pro quos...)

Message 42 of 323
Anonymous
Not applicable

...my assumption also. 

Message 43 of 323

For those who have apple tv, buy a Harmony programmable remote... they work great! Hopefully DirecTV Now won’t get greedy and charge their existing customers extra for additional DVR cloud storage? Can’t wait to try out the new upgrades later today! 

Message 44 of 323
ACE - Master

Just tried out my Harmony 650 with 2.0. Works generally, a few things will need to be tweaked, like the "guide" button pauses the stream, though the pause button works as it should. "Info" will actually give you info on the program you are watching, something you could not get with 1.x.

I agree, a Harmony is a far better solution for an ATV than the Apple remote.

Message 45 of 323
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support