Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV NOW New TV Experience

Community Support

DIRECTV NOW New TV Experience

We’ve been looking forward to telling you about the new TV experience - and here's what you need to know.

SO WHAT’S DIFFERENT

• True Cloud DVR (BETA).
    • Every package automatically gets 20 Hours of free recording storage.
    • You can also skip quickly through commercials with your next generation digital recorder.
    • Functions may be limited in beta. Compatible device required. Not available for select channels. Data connection required. Recordings expire after 30 days.
    • If you’re coming up on your 20 hours limit, you will be notified. If you exceed, the first recorded program listed will be removed to make room for the newest one.
    • How to manage recordings with True Cloud DVR
  • Streaming, Plus One.
    • You now have the option to add a third stream to your account for $5 a month, so three people can be logged in and stream all at once.
    • Keep in mind that streaming a recorded program, VOD, and third party apps also counts as a stream.
    • How to upgrade your plan
  • Extra Sweet Stuff.
    • Travel with your Locals – granted the local is also available in the market you’re traveling to, you can now stream your local channels when you travel.
    • Less Searching, More Streaming – find favorite shows and movies faster with customizable search.
    • Entertainment, Uninterrupted – you’ll never miss a beat with our new layout, because your stream will be playing in the background, or on a pop-up.

Stay tuned for more good news!

- DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 323
ACE - Expert

Re: DIRECTV NOW New TV Experience

"Travel with your Locals – granted the local is also available in the market you’re traveling to, you can now stream your local channels when you travel."

Do we know how this works?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 323

And what about Roku? You would think that’s would be first. I hate Apple TV. The remote is awful and you never know what button to push or what screen you’re  on.  God forbid you move the  remote and accidental touch a button. 

Message 17 of 323
ACE - Expert

According to AT&T starting today the following devices will get the new DIRECTV NOW app with DVR:

• Apple iOS 10+
  • Apple TV (4th gen & higher running tvOS 10+)
  • Chromecast (2nd gen & higher for iOS)
  • Chromecast Built-in TV (Select models only)

New directvnow.com watch experience on:

• Google Chrome browser
  • Safari browser

AT&T says that recent-generation Android, Fire TV, and Roku will get the new app in the coming weeks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 323
ACE - Master

I use a Harmony to control my ATV, that silly track pad is worthless, especially with their worst-in-class virtual keyboard.

Roku will be last, again, and we can look forward to many posts asking "when will we get Roku support?"

Message 19 of 323
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Travel with your Locals – granted the local is also available in the market you’re traveling to, you can now stream your local channels when you travel."

Yeah, great feature, how is that to work? Traveling now don’t see a difference. 

Message 20 of 323
Teacher

Worse rollout ever. 20 hours is ridiculously low. A 3rd stream cost. Not all channels? Yay, lol.

Don't forget Apple only.

Message 21 of 323
Anonymous
Not applicable

everyone has been waiting on the DVR to come out. Now they release it for apple and Chrome. Lets get ready for everyone to complain its not for the fire tv or Roku yet in:

Complain away...

Message 22 of 323
Teacher

This isn't a real DVR. I hope no one records college football and NFL on weekend .. better watch those games real fast. I'll take Vue's unlimited for 28 days over this. And their 5 streams. They really bones this up. And only some channels?

Message 23 of 323
ACE - Expert

Local Channels on the Road. Before, you only were able to access the local networks via DIRECTV NOW at home. Now, if you want to catch local news while you travel, you’ll be able to. For example, if you watch FOX (KTTV) on DIRECTV NOW at home in Los Angeles and are traveling to Dallas, where FOX (KDFW) station is available for DIRECTV NOW customers, you’ll be able to watch KDFW during your visit.

Message 24 of 323
Teacher

I wish I traveled.

Message 25 of 323
Tutor

I got my "You asked for a DVR. You got it (and a lot more)" email.  I upgraded the app and tried to sign in.  I get a message saying I have to sign into my account on the web, which I did, but I'm still getting the same message.

I tried Char but it's worthless since it's just a bot who can't figure out my problem.

What do I do?

Message 26 of 323
Guru

20 hours is "ridiculously low" only if you aren't taking advantage of on-demand. The DVR function is not meant to replace on-demand viewing but to supplement it. If the show you want to watch later is available on-demand, use on-demand for it and save the DVR for those things that are no going to be available on-demand (or to time-shift a live program).

The streams issue is a long-standing complaint with a simple workaround for most people. There are now dozens of channel (or channel grouping) specific apps that accept your DTVN credentials without counting toward your two-stream limit, most of which have live TV and the on-demand catalog associated with that channel. Use those apps for that content and save your two streams for viewing things not otherwise available (or on LTE for AT&T subscribers to get the free data usage).

Message 27 of 323
Teacher

I thought it was 20 hours for unlimited time but nope, 20 hours for 30 days. What? This is my favorite part in the email "Record your favorites. Watch them when you want." As long as its within those 20 hours or it's it's getting deleted.

And I have one question. It says this Functions may be limited in beta. I though we already had a beta?

Message 28 of 323
Guru

And I have one question. It says this Functions may be limited in beta. I though we already had a beta?

The app was in beta and is being released generally. The DVR feature is still beta in the sense that it is still being worked on, but seems stable enough to release generally.

So, the app and DVR were both closed beta. The app is now released and the DVR feature is in open beta.
Message 29 of 323
Teacher

It's limited @keyrom. But as I always said no contract so we can go wherever whenever. It's better but not what I hoped. I was looking for a third stream but not one I had to pay for.

Message 30 of 323
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support