Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV NOW Box Beta

Contributor

DIRECTV NOW Box Beta

Hi, I've been an early adopter of the service and like it. However, with the purchase of my new Sony TV, native app support was dropped as its not included for Android TV OS. 

I would like to request being a part of the Beta testing for the new DIRECTV Now Box AT&T is testing. 

Message 1 of 21
Contributor

Re: DIRECTV NOW Box Beta

I would also like to request being a part of the Beta testing for the new DIRECTV Now Box AT&T is testing. 

Message 2 of 21
ACE - Expert

You are only making your request to other users like yourself here in this user community forum. Try the Feedback option located on all the pages in the Help Center.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 21
ACE - Master

Native support for Sony (Android TV) wasn't "dropped" - it was never offered.  Whatever solution you used prior to getting the Sony TV should still work with that TV.

And there is no indication that the new "box" (Osprey) is a "DirecTV Now box" - in fact, there is evidence that it isn't.  It is apparently intended for a new (streaming) DirecTV service which is explicitly not DirecTV Now, and it is very unclear whether it will actually work with standard DirecTV Now, or (even if it does) whether ATT will offer it to DirecTV Now customers.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 21
Professor

User merman at avsforum has successfully sideloaded the Fire TV apk for DirecTV NOW on a Sony Android TV. 

Message 5 of 21
ACE - Expert

That's great. I have side loaded the app on my Fire HD tablets also. But I understand that DTVN does not provide support for the device. 

Message 6 of 21
Professor

Beta testing isn’t supported either. If the OP wants the native app and no external box or beta box, sideloading is his only option. 

Message 7 of 21
Contributor

I would love to be a Direct TV Now Beta Box tester. i was a beta tester over a year ago for the app. How do I go about to be added for it ???? 

Message 8 of 21

Random invite only like last time

Message 9 of 21
Contributor

I got the new beta DirecTV now box. It is great. Easy to set up. You get the channel number like if you had satellite. It work with Google now. And I also like that the controller works everything regardless what TV you have. I highly recommend it.

Message 10 of 21
Tutor

I also have the new beta DTVN box. It has a few features over the same software on Apple TV, however, the DTVN box currently has so many issues I find it un-usable. It would be nice if they got their software working properly and glitch-free on the Apple TV after a few years since it was released first.

Message 11 of 21
ACE - Expert

I literally have had no performance issues with the box. I only listed a few cosmetics changes to the forum. But I have not tested the DVR function yet. My needs the DVR when I can get the same content from the networking apps.

Message 12 of 21
Tutor

I got an update on it today. I will see if it fixes any of my issues. 

Message 13 of 21
Contributor

I received my box about a week ago and not only is it incredibly slow it has now just completely stopped working. Turn it on and I get the ATT logo and then nothing just hangs there. I've tried restarting it, pushing the red reset button, and nothing. Not sure what to do, any suggestions? Is there a way to do a hard reset or factory reset?

Message 14 of 21
Highlighted
Tutor

I had the same issues. I unplugged it for > 20 seconds and then it came back. Then I quit using it for a couple weeks because it was so bad. Then I turned it on again, looked for an update and there was one. I downloaded and applied it and it has been pretty great since. One minor non-critical issue once in a while (I won't bore you with the specifics). 

Two things I don't like: no Amazon Prime app (huh? - I can't find it) and no Fusion app. So, I can't totally let go of my Apple TV yet.

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support