Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Compression rates for DirecTV Now

Teacher

Compression rates for DirecTV Now

I have 100 Mbit AT&T internet service, and am streaming DirecTV Now on 2 Roku Express sticks (3800X).  I started using DirecTV Now in November 2018 and my data usage was averaging 1.3 TBytes per month.  I recently looked at my AT&T data usage, and notice a sudden drop on February 13, 2019.  I'm now averaging 100 MBytes per month; that less than 10% of my previous usage!

Has anyone else seen this kind of drop in data usage?  Did DirecTV Now change their compression rate?  For example from H.264 to H.265?  Or is it the new Roku OS (9.0).  The final, and most likely possibility is AT&T is not showing DirecTV Now data usage in their graphs.

I will add that there has been no change in my viewing habits, and I have not seen any change in the quality of the video stream.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎05-28-2019 1:38 PM

Re: Compression rates for DirecTV Now

I have not noticed any change in picture quality either.

I agree with you, the most likely explanation is DTVN data is not included in your total.

If you watch at all regularly 100 MB per month would be way too low, unless you were streaming to a phone at the lowest possible quality.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 3
Teacher

Re: Compression rates for DirecTV Now

I think I already knew the answer, I just needed to hear it from someone else.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support