Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Beta Testing Directv Now Streaming Box

Beta Testing Directv Now Streaming Box

I’ve been beta testing the streaming box since receiving it a few weeks ago.  Setup had plenty of hiccups; it initially crashed and had attempt setting up multiple times. Finally got it setup and connected to my WIFI network, but it would consistently loose connection.  So I gave it a rest out of frustration.  

I’ve tried multiple times to use since.  The best is that it works fine for up to 5 - 10 minutes and then somehow crashes my entire WIFI network, i.e. all other devices that were connected to the network lose connectivity. This happens consistently. I’ve had to discontinue using to avoid this issue.  As soon as I take the streaming box off my network, the network recovers all other devices can connect to the network. 

I’ve received no communication from ATT and I even attempted to be proactive to connection with ATT without any luck.  It would be easier for ATT to simply go with a Roku Streamkng Stick if this is the best the box will do.  

Message 1 of 46
Contributor

Me too. Still waiting for my box too. Does anyone know how to get in touch with someone who might know?

Message 31 of 46
Tutor

I have my beta box and after I figured out how to connect it; it works great. It did not take long to get.
Message 32 of 46
Scholar

I got one of these boxes through a friend since I was never invited; she didn't want hers.

I was told some weeks ago through chat not to worry that i was enrolled, but no box yet so no link to provide feedback.

So far I've had the following issues:

1. At setup it wouldn't update: solved that by changing the QoS service in my router (fault at my side);

2. Sound going out on live TV and VOD. The box was connected to an HDMI input of the TV and I was getting sound through my audio receiver through ARC. Solved this by connecting the box directly to an HDMI input of the audio receiver. Most likely a HDMI handshake problem. Didn't have any picture problems when using the HDMI input of my TV.

3. Now having picture problems while connected to my audio receiver. Every so often there's a quick black screen. The whole screen goes black for a fraction of a second and then everything goes back to normal. Tried another HDMi input and new HDMI cable, same problem. Problem not solved yet. Most likely a HDMI handshake problem as in point 2 above.

4. The android system does not handle memory very well. As I keep on doing stuff (changing channels etc.) the box becomes very slow and I need to restart it by power cycling it. Maybe an update can fix this.

Message 33 of 46
Highlighted
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by STLroadWarrior
‎06-06-2019 8:24 AM

@bno25ab 

This can help a little.

It can make the whole thing seem much "snappier".

1. On your Osprey box press the remote's HOME key and select the SETTINGS ICON.
  2. Scroll down to SYSTEM -> GENERAL -> SYSTEM SUMMARY.
  3. With SYSTEM SUMMARY highlighted, press the OK button on your remote repeatedly until "You are now a developer" appears on the screen.

Then go to SYSTEM -> GENERAL -> DEVELOPER OPTIONS

In the DEVELOPER OPTIONS menu, scroll down until you see the Window, Transition, and Animator duration scale.

Default value for these settings is 1.0x. 

At 0.5x  the animations and transitions are still present, but quicker. You can disable to get rid of them entirely if you'd like.
Tags (1)
Message 34 of 46
Scholar

@rabgary Thanks a lot for you tip. Did the steps and so far I'm liking the box even more. Very snappy now. The black screen I still do get ones in a while, but It's happening way less and no longer that annoying; i guess I'm getting used to it. 

P.S. I set the animations to OFF, since I just need my menu's etc. to appear on the fly. Don't need the animations personally. 

Message 35 of 46
Contributor

We’ve had the box for over two months and the picture quality is very poor. Anybody else experience this? We find ourselves going back to the app due to this. We have a 4K tv and it’s like watching a 1970s tube tv. The buffering can be annoying too.

I also found the recent $10 price increase coincidental with the boxes coming out although their excuse is rising programming costs. DTV is turning into COX so we may have to look at other options if the 2-3 price increases a year continue. 

Message 36 of 46
Professor

Are you referring to the "forced HDR" issue where the colors look like a comic book? If so, a workaround is to set the resolution in the settings on the box to 1080p instead of 4k. Since DTVN has no 4k content, 1080p should work fine.

If you're talking about something else, perhaps your network connection is too slow (poor wifi signal?).

Message 37 of 46
Teacher

Does anyone have a box they'd want to send me? If you've given up on it or whatever...
I'd pay shipping. I really want to test one of these and am willing to get a DTVNow account for a couple of months.

Message 38 of 46
ACE - Master

They sometimes show up on Ebay, though I have no idea if the sellers have a right to sell them. I don't have one so I don't know what if any restrictions might have been placed on their use or resale.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 39 of 46
Teacher

They do not have the right to resale, and there is currently a unit on there for $285.
That is theft and I hope DTV reclaims the box and they lose their account.

Message 40 of 46
ACE - Expert

Does not matter. If you do not have an AT&T/DTVN account you can not login to the box anyways. Can not be used for other services except thru the app.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 41 of 46
ACE - Master

$285? $100 more than an ATV4K?

Someone would have to be nuts to pay that, it's simply not worth it, even if it were wide open.

Message 42 of 46
ACE - Expert

Amen. But there are just some crazy people out there that do not know what they are doing.

Message 43 of 46
ACE - Master

Agreed, but are you referring to Cordcutters or Politicians?

I wouldn't expect to see AT&T enforce the "no resale" rule,  the box can't be used without an AT&T account or some hacking that would probably cost more than a new, open device.

Message 44 of 46
ACE - Expert

LOL. Lot of money spent just to hack a box.

Message 45 of 46
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support