Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Beta Testing Directv Now Streaming Box

Beta Testing Directv Now Streaming Box

I’ve been beta testing the streaming box since receiving it a few weeks ago.  Setup had plenty of hiccups; it initially crashed and had attempt setting up multiple times. Finally got it setup and connected to my WIFI network, but it would consistently loose connection.  So I gave it a rest out of frustration.  

I’ve tried multiple times to use since.  The best is that it works fine for up to 5 - 10 minutes and then somehow crashes my entire WIFI network, i.e. all other devices that were connected to the network lose connectivity. This happens consistently. I’ve had to discontinue using to avoid this issue.  As soon as I take the streaming box off my network, the network recovers all other devices can connect to the network. 

I’ve received no communication from ATT and I even attempted to be proactive to connection with ATT without any luck.  It would be easier for ATT to simply go with a Roku Streamkng Stick if this is the best the box will do.  

Message 1 of 46
Tutor

I am still waiting for my streaming box, I am on the list to get one and I even chat with them and email them but still no box. Do anyone know how long it takes to receive the streaming box from AT&T? 

Message 2 of 46
Tutor

How/ where can I sign up to be a beta tester?

Message 3 of 46
Professor

You can't sign up. Selection is random and long since past. But there are a ton of Osprey boxes on ebay if you want one. Their "beta testing" is a joke. I only got 2 minor updates in the months I was using it, the last of which was worse than the previous one. And the developers don't interact with you at all. You just post random issues into a black hole and get a canned response from a robot.

I beta tested for Tivo, and it was fantastic. They actually gave you a list of things to test and responded to your findings personally. They also let you know what things were fixed and what features they added/changed. It was almost as if they cared about the quality of their product. What a concept. AT&T couldn't care less.

Message 4 of 46
Tutor

Thx so much! After some googling I found the website link to sign up for
the beta tester wait list, but thx!

~R
Message 5 of 46
Highlighted
Professor

Interesting. I thought they took that down. Mind posting it?

Message 6 of 46
Tutor

We will see how long it stays active
https://www.directvnow.com/signup
Message 7 of 46
Tutor

Chat with them yesterday (04/18/19) and I am still on the list since January but they promise me that the second email is coming and they are just starting to ship them now yay 😀 after most 5 months, it sounds like my is on it way and I am looking forward to testing it 🤗 thank you so much AT&T for great customer service 🤗

Message 8 of 46
Teacher

I keep calling about this because no one knows within the company that it's coming....the future of the company is being completely redone this year and absolutely no one knows about it.

They don't seem to understand this is why I want to bail out on them end of my contract.

This is ridiculous. I want to be a beta tester and I will not go on Ebay and buy an Osprey box. 
If anyone knows who at DirecTV to talk to, please let me know. I'm literally at my wits end constantly having to tell DTV employees whats coming to their own company.

Message 9 of 46
Teacher

I would not buy one of these boxes. How would they ever confirm it's ok for your account?

Message 10 of 46
Tutor

Just go into the help forms in Directv now (after you sign into your account) and live chat will pop up and just type in Beta tester the robot will bring up some link, so just retype it again and you will get a live person to chat with. I never call, alway live chat because they know more and always helpful

Message 11 of 46
ACE - Master

I wouldn't worry about it being OK for your account. It's not like they are checking every ATV and Roku out there, if it meets the hardware specs it should work.

But I can see plenty of other reasons to not buy one. :-)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 46
Teacher

But I'm only on Directv, which is what they're using these boxes for later this year.
Not sure that would be an issue, but from what I read the CFO was saying, they've already started betas on the DirecTV side as well.

Message 13 of 46
Tutor

Well I applied to be a beta tester 4/18/19 and today I got the email that
my AT&T streaming device is on it's way via FedEx! Faster than I thought.
Very eager to give this thing a try and rest my Roku Streaming stick + a
bit :-)

~R
Message 14 of 46

I received  mine today.  Initial setup was simple enough however it took a few attempts to get the directv now streaming.  Once it finally started working it seems to work pretty well in the thirty or so minutes I got to try it out.  I've been using dtvnow for about six months on an amazon fire TV 4K.  I must admit I really like having the channel numbers back and the previous button as well.  I like the one click record.  It is defiantly setup more like traditional directv as far as the usability of it goes.  I will continue to use and test it out and hopefully it keeps improving.  

Message 15 of 46
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support