Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Att celluar data usage

Tutor

Att celluar data usage

I am an ATT wireless customer. I purchased DirecTV now so I could watch tv anywhere without using any data. I am burning through my data. 4 gigs for just a couple hours of use!!!!
Message 22 of 96
Tutor

Re: Data Usage With iPhone Hotspot?

I have an ATT wireless plan, I have downloaded the the app, I also have the unlimited after I use the data mu plan pays for, which is the reason I purchased Directv Now, and it still used all my data.

Message 91 of 96
ACE - Expert

@babbrown wrote:

I have an ATT wireless plan, I have downloaded the the app, I also have the unlimited after I use the data mu plan pays for, which is the reason I purchased Directv Now, and it still used all my data.

Mu plan?  It?

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 92 of 96
Mentor

I replied last year to this question. If you use Apple TV or Roku your direct tv now uses up your data allowance. If you watch on your iPad or iphone it streams for free since it it considered “sponsored data “ on these devices.
Message 93 of 96
Tutor

I only have an Iphone, which is what i used to access Directv Now, sill it
used all my data. No worries i have cancelled the subscription and think
seriously about cancelling mt ATT wireless service. I am really
disappointed.
Message 94 of 96
Mentor

Sorry to hear you are leaving directv now.

Check your MyATT application reports. Direct tv now viewing using the directv now app on your phone or tablet will show up as ‘sponsored data’ (aka FREE DATA).

There is something else using up your data.

I have had direct tv now since it started and if I use the iPhone or iPad directv now application it all shows up as ‘sponsored data’.

If you are using the hot spot to support data through another device (like Riki or Apple TV) then YOU PAY. It’s not free data. Is only free data when you use the directv now app on your phone or tablet.

If you use your directv now subscription to sign on to a tv channel’s application (like cbs, fox, fx apps) then YOU PAY. It’s not free data.

Message 95 of 96
Tutor

I keep saying I only used the directv now app on my phone. I don't have
Roku or any other streaming device, nor do I have a smart tv that I could
have accidentally used another app. It all good. You guys are making me
feel like I'm illiterate. I have been a manager in IT operations for over
30 years. I have seen a lot of technological evolution during that time.
Maybe you should check the messages of others who have made similar
complaints amd dig a little deeper as to why this happens.
Message 96 of 96
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support