Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Att celluar data usage

Tutor

Att celluar data usage

I am an ATT wireless customer. I purchased DirecTV now so I could watch tv anywhere without using any data. I am burning through my data. 4 gigs for just a couple hours of use!!!!
Message 22 of 96
Contributor

Re: Do I occur data charges using your Phone has an Hotspot and use another device to play the app

Does this work for prepaid phone service with AT&T aka go phone
Message 76 of 96
ACE - Sage

Re: Do I occur data charges using your Phone has an Hotspot and use another device to play the app

@Ruler1976   No.  It specifically says postpaid only.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 77 of 96
Mentor

The key seems to be using direct tv now app on the iPhone or iPad.   I AM charged if I use direct TV now app on the apple device.  So I stream from my iPad/iPhone to the Apple TV device with mirroring.m the only weird thing about that is NBC local channel has a huge logo in the middle.  This does not happen with any other channel including fox local.

Message 78 of 96
ACE - Expert

@Rivahlizard wrote:

The key seems to be using direct tv now app on the iPhone or iPad.   I AM charged if I use direct TV now app on the apple device.  So I stream from my iPad/iPhone to the Apple TV device with mirroring.

Are you sure that's working as free data, or is the AppleTV turning around and redownloading it itself?

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 79 of 96
Mentor

Yes.... All the data I stream with my iPad/iPhone through mirroring appears as sponsored data on my bill. But any streaming through my Apple TV alone counts towards my data limit. Do a test yourself. You can see your pre bill usage. With my att app. It can take up to couple of days to show up though. Am streaming through att home base (wireless home phone and Internet) but I also streamed through my hot spot before I got the homemade.

Message 80 of 96

i think in one of the latest DTV Now app updates, they changed this so that it does not work anymore. the iOS app on the iPad is now using URL forwarding and so the appleTV is directly pulling the stream from it's own ethernet interface... and so the data ends up coming from comcast for me (and counts against my quota).

i even tried blacklisting my appleTV so that it could not access the internet, hoping that the DTV Now app would fall back to "traditional" airplay, but it did not. 

i regret applying the latest update as DTV now is now useless to me.

Message 81 of 96

Re: Wireless data usage with Directv Now

I'm not sure how this is backwards.  Normally you'd need to be on the same WiFi network to connect to the AppleTV, if you're on the WiFi then you're not on cellular.

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. if you statically configure the wifi on the iPad or iPhone and omit the gateway, iOS is smart enough to know that it needs to use the cellular interface to reach the internet, but it can still reach hosts on your LAN via the wifi interface. 

Message 82 of 96
Mentor

My wifi is cellular. I know that seems like an oxymoron. But I am all cellular. I had wifi through a cellular hot spot but now my wifi now comes off att homebase cellular home phone and internet.

I am streaming from my iPad through mirroring of the time and that seems to still be treated as sponsored data.
Message 83 of 96

in my experiments it seemed that as long as the directv data terminated in an iPad or iPhone, it would be zero rated, even if there was a router between the iPad/iPhone and ATT's network. but if i had my appleTV pulling the DTV Now data thru the same kind of connection (ATT iPhone tethered to the router with all traffic going to the iPhone), the data was not zero rated. 

Message 84 of 96
Contributor

I am so confused. My new phone has the direct tv app on it. I signed up for an account. If I watch direct tv on my phone, thru the app, am I charged data or not? If I use 4g am I charged? If I use my Wi-Fi? If I use a hotspot?
I went camping for four days, used 4g, and data shot thru the roof!
Message 85 of 96
Mentor

I found that if I used my att unite hot spot or my att homebase cellular internet with an iPad that I was not charged if I went through the direct tv now app on my iPad.  I did not test using my iPhone as a hotspot with direct tv.com app on an iPad.  

if you used DIRECTV now app on your iPhone there is no charge.

You can check your data usage via the MyATT app ( it takes a day or so to catch up). And that will tell you whether the data was sponsored or not when you used your iPhone as hotspot and your iPad running direct tv app.

i will be interested to see what MyATT says re your data usage.   Go into the detailed report. 

Also did you use your iPad for any other videos while you were backpacking?  One hour of high def video can use up a gig. 

Message 86 of 96
ACE - Master

If you don't have ATT postpaid wireless, you will be charged data (well, if your carrier charges - it has nothing to do with DirecTV Now).  

If you do have ATT postpaid wireless, then you should have zero-rated ("free") data when using the DTVN app connected over mobile data.  It doesn't matter if it is LTE or 4g.  WiFi access is not zero-rated, so it will count as "normal" data over your WiFi connection.  (A WiFi hotspot is the same.)  Note that the wireless data usage will (I believe) show up on your bill, but as "sponsored" (meaning it isn't charged to you).

Message 87 of 96
Mentor

Wifi usage IS zero rated when using direct tv app on and iPad or iPhone. I have used an Att wifi hotspot and it was zero rated. I mad now using att homebase and it is zero rated.
Message 88 of 96
ACE - Master

Those are not "regular" WiFi.  If you have a standard WiFi router or access point attached to a "normal" wired internet service (via cable, DSL, etc.), the data that a mobile device connecting via WiFi rather than mobile data is using through the DTVN app is charged against that internet service (which matters if you have a data capped internet service).  As far as I know, ATT public WiFi hotspots aren't billed (to end users) at all.  Wireless hotspots are a different case.  The Homebase is not a "normal" WiFi device - it runs over mobile data, and while I have no idea how the plans for it work in general, I'd assume that for DTVN  it is similar to using a phone as a hotspot for a supported tablet.  In that case, the data is zero rated.  But it wouldn't be if you drive a computer or TV device via the hotspot - in that case (at least on a phone based hotspot) the data is charged.  (Of course, if the device that is connected to the wireless hotspot has wireless capability, using the hotspot doesn't really give you anything.)

Message 89 of 96
ACE - Expert

@Rivahlizard @dleewilson

Officially the DirecTV app is free data if you are USING THE APP on a MOBILE DEVICE through the POSTPAID CELLULAR network (i.e. iPad tethered though a hotspot).

Occasionally, I've seen people report something else has worked (firestick or AppleTV) but I don't think it's consistent and I wouldn't want to count on it.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 90 of 96
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support