Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Watching DTV Now on Apple TV using ATT mobile hotspot for internet connection - data usage?

Tutor

Att celluar data usage

I am an ATT wireless customer. I purchased DirecTV now so I could watch tv anywhere without using any data. I am burning through my data. 4 gigs for just a couple hours of use!!!!
Message 22 of 96
Highlighted
Voyager

Watching DTV Now on Apple TV using ATT mobile hotspot for internet connection - data usage?

My home wireless internet connection is supplied by my ATT Unite Explore hotspot.  I currently have 40 gigs of data per month.  If I stream DTV Now on my Apple TV or my wifi IPAD using the ATT Unite Explore as my internet connection, will the data it uses be counted against my data allowance for the month?  If yes, does ATT have plans to allow this in the future?

Message 31 of 96
Community Support

Re: Internet Usage cap

Hey @lokidz,

If you’re a DIRECTV NOW and AT&T Mobile Wireless customer, streaming most DIRECTV NOW movies and programs over the AT&T wireless network won't count against your data usage allowance. If you are streaming over your ATT Wireless service, it will not count, but if you are streaming over your Home Internet, it will. Check out more on Data Usage with DIRECTV NOW.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 32 of 96
Teacher

Re: Do I occur data charges using your Phone has an Hotspot and use another device to play the app

Well according to their chat log, I can use my phone for a mobile hotspot and then from there, I can use the Apple TV with The Directv Now App!

Message 33 of 96
Teacher

Re: Do I occur data charges using your Phone has an Hotspot and use another device to play the app

FWIW I actually use my phone, and I do a screen share to my HDTV. Works out quite well.

Message 34 of 96
ACE - Expert

@turbohealz wrote:

Well according to their chat log, I can use my phone for a mobile hotspot and then from there, I can use the Apple TV with The Directv Now App!

Are you saying tether the Apple TV through the phone?

That would be nice if it worked. (I doubt it, would be happy to be wrong!).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 96
Teacher

I would be stunned if you can use your ATT wireless plan phone as a hot spot to then connect your device to that hot spot and then stream DTN. The "no data" usage applies to wireless customers that stream the app thru their phone.

When you connect via a hot spot, I don't think they can then tell if u r streaming DTN thru the connected device as opposed to any other app. The hot spot just sees the connection and the data being consumed.

What u can do is steam thru your phone then cast that to a chrome cast (they are $25) or mirror your phone to your TV. Now you are streaming from the phone directly and there should be no data usage on that.
Message 36 of 96

Re: Att celluar data usage

Are you streaming the directv now on a computer that is connected to your hotspot? Because I believe the only way it is data free is if you stream on your phone through the directv app.

Message 37 of 96
Tutor

Re: Att celluar data usage

Thanks but I have figured this out.
Message 38 of 96
ACE - Expert

@mbrown2626 wrote:
I would be stunned if you can use your ATT wireless plan phone as a hot spot to then connect your device to that hot spot and then stream DTN. The "no data" usage applies to wireless customers that stream the app thru their phone.

You can definitely stream your iPad through your iPhone hotspot with the app and not get charged. 

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 39 of 96
Teacher

@Gary L

Should have specified that I was referring to those asking if they can connect there devices such as Fire TV to the hot spot
Message 40 of 96
ACE - Expert

@mbrown2626 wrote:
Should have specified that I was referring to those asking if they can connect there devices such as Fire TV to the hot spot

I'm thinking you ca NOT do the TV devices through the hotspot, but I know some tablets work when hotspoting.

Message 41 of 96
Tutor

I think his question was about Uverse Internet and not ATT Cellular Internet.  I have Uverse Internet as well and would like to stay under the 1tb of data I am allowed.  Does DirecTV Now count towards data allowance on Uverse Internet? 

Message 42 of 96
Teacher

Yes it counts, Directv Now has no bundling deal with Uverse internet, so the 1TB data cap is in effect for all streaming on Directv Now

Message 43 of 96
Tutor

Yikes.  That's bad news.  Maybe I'll try their internet for a month and see what the data looks like and cancel if I go over. 

Message 44 of 96
Teacher

Video Stream can range from 1gb-3gb per hour depending on the quality, so even at HD quality, 300 hours of veiwing is only 900Gb. Do you watch more than 300hours a month (10hrs/day)?

Message 45 of 96
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support