Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Internet Usage cap

Tutor

Att celluar data usage

I am an ATT wireless customer. I purchased DirecTV now so I could watch tv anywhere without using any data. I am burning through my data. 4 gigs for just a couple hours of use!!!!
Message 22 of 96
Contributor

Re: Wireless data usage with Directv Now

Excellent. Thank you for the info. However, it is a huge disappointment. I want to give AT&T my money to have the unlimited plan as I have a long commute and I do things such as YouTube and Netflix on the go. Now, if the DTV Now app had decent On Demand (which it doesn't), or the DVR that is supposed to come next year, then maybe this is a different conversation. Right now the DTV Now app is halfway to where it needs to be. Come put a dish on my house and just not hook it up. I just want to stream. lol

Message 15 of 96
Tutor

Re: Do I occur data charges using your Phone has an Hotspot and use another device to play the app

I'm dying to know the answer as well. No one seems to know.
Tags (1)
Message 16 of 96
Contributor

tethering my tablet to my iPhone on att

do i get unlimited data if i tether my tablet to my iPhone on att

Message 17 of 96
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTTVNOWHelp
‎12-27-2016 12:25 PM

Re: Do I occur data charges using your Phone has an Hotspot and use another device to play the app

Hi @vanmierlo,

If you are using an AT&T hotspot and then tethering secondary devices streaming with DIRECTV NOW at this time are not data free. Be on the lookout for additional updates as we get additional information. We appreciate your patience and love for the DIRECTV NOW community.

UPDATE: If you’re a DIRECTV NOW and AT&T Mobile Wireless customer, streaming DIRECTV NOW movies and programs over the AT&T wireless network won't count against your data usage allowance. If you are streaming over your ATT Wireless service, it will not count, but if you are streaming over your Home Internet, it will. Check out more on Data Usage with DIRECTV NOW.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 18 of 96
Highlighted
Contributor

Internet Usage cap

I have AT&T uverse internet with a 1T usage allowance. Will using Direct TV Now go against this cap or will it be free as it is for wireless users.

Message 19 of 96
Teacher

Thank you for the clarification.

But living in a rural area and using Directtv Now as my TV service through AT&T this would be really needed to create flexibilit to use the AT&T phone with hotspot functionality (not a sperate AT&T hotspot subscription) as a hotspot to execute the DirectTVNow app on another device.

Please let me know if you need anymore input.

Johan

Message 20 of 96
Scholar

Re: Wireless data usage with Directv Now

Hi Kevin,

I have done exactly what you have done and I do not see "sponsored data" in OLAM or the myAT&T app. Is there a trick?

Thanks for your help!

Nevemind, I found it.

myAT&T app > View usage details > Manage usage and scroll down to see sponsored data.

Message 21 of 96
Administrator
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎12-01-2016 6:33 PM

Re: Att celluar data usage

Hey @KrisDe,

Check out my post here.

It sounds like you're seeing the same thing I was yesterday before I dug into it further. When you view your account on the myAT&T App, are you seeing the line item for sponsored data?

@webbuzz had a similar issue and provided a helpful guide to seeing the sponsored data line item.

"myAT&T app > View usage details > Manage usage and scroll down to see sponsored data."

Give that a shot and let me know if this helps!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 23 of 96
Tutor

Re: Att celluar data usage

The sponsored data line shows .14gb, my ATT wireless hotspot shows it used over 4gb of data watching about 2 to 3 hours of DirecTV Now. Done shut down watching anything until I Can figure out what is going on.
Message 24 of 96
Teacher

Now according to this person, he is wrong because DTV Now customer service via chat told me and I have the picture the exact opposite. There is a lot of miscommunication in here, that someone needs to address.

Message 25 of 96
Teacher

dtv.jpg

Message 26 of 96
Tutor

I need clarification on your statement, "If you are using an AT&T hotspot and then tethering secondary devices streaming with DIRECTV NOW at this time are not data free."  You say DIRECTV NOW, is that only the app or can I sign into the service via browser and stream from my AT&T hotspot on my iPhone to a secondary device and not incur data use from my data plan?  Or is use of the "App" the only way AT&T distinguishs and classifies "free data"?  

Thank you.

Message 27 of 96
Community Support

Hello. Only using the App counts as no-data-use. If you use your phone as a hotspot, you will still use up data.

Message 28 of 96
Voyager

Apple TV on an AT&T hotspot

If I add an hotspot to my service, will the Apple TVs data use during use of the Directv now app be counted against the plans data?  Basically is it going to work the same way as on my iPhone service?

Tags (1)
Message 29 of 96
Scholar

@turbohealz your chat log is hilarious, and pretty consistent with the non-assistance @ATTTVNOWHelp has been providing here. 

This reminds me of the Iraq invasion when Baghdad Bob kept saying there were no Americans in the city and there were U.S. tanks rolling by the building he was broadcasting from.

No issues here, people.  Just restore your device to factory settings and reboot.  Thanks for using DirecTV Now!

Message 30 of 96
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support