Explore & discover

Helpful Links

“Are You Still Watching” Nag Screen: Turn It Off?

“Are You Still Watching” Nag Screen: Turn It Off?

Why is the nag screen still in the new release, and why isn’t there a toggle to turn it off? Last I checked, regular TV didn’t nag me to see if I was still there. I have seen dozens of posts about this, so obviously consumers HATE it. How can we band together to get AT&T to remove (or at least give us a choice to disable) this feature?

Or, if AT&T engineers were actually decent programmers, they could detect the type of device being watching on. Nag on mobile devices when on cellular ONLY, not on Wi-Fi. Or, just give us the option to turn it off, it is so annoying to be right in the middle of a show, and the nag screen pops up, and I have to sit up, get the remote, and hit no.

Message 1 of 38
Contributor

Re: “Are You Still Watching” Nag Screen: Turn It Off?

No, I haven't been. I am in a trial period, but That's not really a good answer. Football is on all afternoon on Sundays, and if I set up my VCR to record for 8 hours while I am at work or just not here, I should be able to record the entire time. As for your statement that others do it sounds like a little kid trying to justify bad behavior. If you expect to be the best, act like it.

Message 16 of 38
ACE - Expert

No idea which post you are responding to, but none of this has anything to do with recording.  Recording takes place on their servers - once a recording is scheduled, the app isn't involved anymore, and I would assume if you aren't there, you wouldn't be running the app.  In any case, the 4 hour timeout wouldn't affect a recording, just watching - you are able to record as long as you want to (well, until you run out of space in the DVR).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 38
Voyager

Okay.  So, why do we get that message within minutes of turning the tv on? 

We're new to the cable-less life and DTVN.  What about the message that appears, blinks, and reappears that there will soon be a better version -- is there an actual update coming or are they referring to the delay before we can actually watch any tv?

I haven't done a search yet but while I'm on a roll here -- what about the incessant 'video taking longer to load than expected' message.  When can we expect an improvement on that front?

Hope I can find my way back here for any answers that are posted.  Thanks.  

Message 18 of 38
ACE - Master

If you get the nag immediately it probably means you did not actually exit the app after your last viewing session. Don't just turn off the TV, make sure you have actually exited the app in whatever way is appropriate for your device.

The" better experience coming" is just referring to the new app that is loading, meaning it's better than the older app (without the "you'll soon be watching" screen).

The "taking too long" is something I used to see literally on every channel change, but the video always come up a second or two after the message appeared. I have not seen "taking too long" in weeks though, and channel changes do seem a tad faster. Oddly, channel changes seem fastest during prime time, when I would expect them to be slow. Perhaps they add extra resources for peak periods.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 38
Tutor

I get the complaints about bandwidth usage, but the consumer is paying for their bandwidth, they should be able to decide - so it should at least be an option.

In any event, optional or not, it should not STOP the broadcast, as it does on my Roku, while asking, then taking time to reconnect, all while I'm missing the show I was watching.

Message 20 of 38
ACE - Expert

Well, the consumer directly pays only for their bandwidth to/from their ISP.  They indirectly pay for DirecTV Now's bandwidth use as part of their subscription fee.  If DTVN's bandwidth needs went up because of the users whose streams ran unnecessarily (perhaps 24/7), then they would have to raise their rates (to all subscribers, not just the ones using the unnecessary bandwidth - in part because they don't know whose use is unnecessary without the timeout).  I, for one, have no interest in having my subscription rates go up for to pay for someone who just wants to let their streams run.  Someone who really wants to do that can get cable/satellite (which run under a different model, where bandwidth costs don't appear), or can go OTA (same thing).

And it needs to stop the stream - that's the point of doing it.  At most, they could let it run for a short period (a couple of minutes?) after posting the prompt to allow for an immediate response (which would seem to meet your needs?), but I don't know how complex it would be for them to provide that feature.

Message 21 of 38
Contributor

I'm OK with your explanation and agree that hitting any button on my remote once every 4 hours is no big deal (or hardship) if I'm there. What happens when I'm recording a sports event or Tennis match, many of which last more than 4 hours. Will the recording continue or will I get 2 hours or more of the Nag Message? That is something the Software guys should be able to detect and resolve.

Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you schedule a recording, your device doesn’t even need to be on, let alone running the DTVN app, ...nag screen doesn’t come into play. 

Message 23 of 38
Contributor

I have the same problem with nextflix. I pay a lot for full cable and channels. My kids like the nexflixs and enjoy the kids shows. The problem is that it doesn’t ask if your still watching every 4 hours. It pops up every 20 mins. After every short kids episode. For the most part we no longer use netflix anymore because of this. 

Message 24 of 38
Contributor

To anyone who would defend Netflix nag screen, *****

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

Message 25 of 38
Contributor

Jrandomuser..

[Well, the consumer directly pays only for their bandwidth to/from their ISP.  They indirectly pay for DirecTV Now's bandwidth use as part of their subscription fee.  If DTVN's bandwidth needs went up because of the users whose streams ran unnecessarily (perhaps 24/7), then they would have to raise their rates (to all subscribers, not just the ones using the unnecessary bandwidth - in part because they don't know whose use is unnecessary without the timeout).  I, for one, have no interest in having my subscription rates go up for to pay for someone who just wants to let their streams run.  Someone who really wants to do that can get cable/satellite (which run under a different model, where bandwidth costs don't appear), or can go OTA (same thing)]

If you dont want your rates to go up because of people running their streams, get another service *****. Those are 2 GREAT options *****.

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

Message 26 of 38
ACE - Master

In addition to the bandwidth issues, at both ends, it may be that advertisers are willing to pay more if they can be assured that someone other than the family dog is watching.

Message 27 of 38
Teacher

"If you dont want your rates to go up because of people running their streams, get another service *****. *****."

Wow, don't you guys realize that data costs the ISP almost nothing? They only charge for data so much because they can, not because they need to. Stop buying into that lie guys. Please stop.

And the bandwidth issues of the old 2G era are gone, so there's very little reason to be concerned there.  And land line bandwidth is pretty much unlimited for any household.  The providers are milking us for all they can on lies and deceit.  

Message 28 of 38
Tutor

I don't understand you people - there's a happy medium that doesn't involve messing with someone's viewing experience OR wasting bandwidth.  Pop a small message up in a corner INSTEAD OF STOPPING THE STREAM.  If no one answers in some time, THEN turn it off.  There I am, at one of the climactic moments of The Return of the King, and the video just STOPS to ask for confirmation, then takes like 15 seconds to come back after I hit the button.  THAT is messed up.

Message 29 of 38
ACE - Master

If I were planning to watch a lengthy program that was important to me, I would make sure I changed the channel within a few minutes of the program's starting, to ensure it would not stop during the program.

But I don't, because it's only television and it's just not that important, if the video stops I can press a button if necessary.

Message 30 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support