Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T TV Now app for Webos/LG OLED TV's

Highlighted
Contributor

AT&T TV Now app for Webos/LG OLED TV's

I recently purchased a LG 65'E8 PUA OLED tv for my great room (beautiful picture quality), but currently I have DirecTV Now app/service on my office tv and guest room tv's via Roku. The WebOs systems on LG TV's don't currently carry or support the DirecTV Now app. To enhance the customer experience the DirecTV Now app is a must have. Are there plans in the near future to add the app/service to LG tv's and if so, the decision makers that may read this is there an ETA on this? Can new and current LG tv customers expect to see something in Q1 or Q2 of 2019?

Best Regards, 

Keir Tilford

Message 14 of 43
Contributor

App available on LG Smart

If s the AT&T TV Now app available on LG Smart tv?

Message 1 of 43
ACE - Master

Re: App available on LG Smart

No.  At this time, you would need to use an outboard streaming device with that TV.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 43
Contributor

? Can I still access HBO Showtime and stars through my LG TV?

V

T

G

L

y

h

s

y

s

d

n

e

w

s

O

P

H

a

t

l

y

e

I

n

Message 3 of 43
ACE - Expert

l,p,rp,]wb.,]\w\?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 43
ACE - Master

If those services have apps for that TV (likely, I'd guess), then yes for HBO and Showtime.  At this time, the Starz app doesn't support DirecTV Now as the provider.

Message 5 of 43
Contributor

LG Smart TV app - when?

One would assume that consumers buying "smart" TVs are looking forward to not having ancillary boxes and remotes.  But to subscribe to AT&T TV utilizing my LG smart TV, I have to again use an additional box.  Will you be developing an app for LG as you have already for Samsung?  Is there an ETA?

Message 6 of 43
ACE - Expert

Re: LG Smart TV app - when?

No one here knows what their plans are. We are just customers like you in a open community forum.

Message 7 of 43
Professor

Where's the app for my Hisense, Insignia, Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, TCL, Toshiba, Westinghouse and Vizio? Please write and support a dozen more apps rather than fix the few that you've been unable to debug for 2 years running.

Message 8 of 43
Teacher

You are asking for the app from the wrong people, its up to the TV manufacturer-company of your (Smart TV like LG, Sony, Vizio, etc.) to work with AT&T and create the app for their TV's because the app. goes onto your TV and AT&T cannot create it on their own.

If Directv Now is not on your TV's app list then you need to go onto your TV companies website for info and ask them.     Some TV manufacturers have approved a Directv Now app and some have not, if its not on the list of downloadable apps then the only recourse is to use a Apple TV,  ROKU, etc player with the app installed on your TV.

Message 9 of 43
Teacher

•   From what I see on the internet (Samsung) is the only TV manufacturing company that has reached an agreement to allow the installation of a Directv Now app on their TV's.  
Message 10 of 43
ACE - Expert

...and Roku TV's.

Message 11 of 43
ACE - Master

In general, no - it isn't up to the TV manufacturer.  And it usually has nothing to do with "approving the app" - it has to do with developing an appropriate app in the first place.  It is up to the service provider (DirecTV Now in this case) to decide they want to expend the resources to develop the app.  (There are also "smart TV" platforms that aren't particularly smart - for which it might not be possible/practical to build an app.)  It is barely conceivable that a TV manufacturer might not want an app, but it seems unlikely - it's generally in their interests to have as many apps as possible, just as it is in DirecTV Now's interest to run on as many platforms as possible - in both cases it increases the potential customer pool. However, developing and then supporting a new platform is far from free - so DirecTV Now will do so only when they believe the potential benefits outweigh the costs, and the resources required are not assigned to other activities that are viewed as more critical. The TV manufacturer might or might not provide help (financial and technical).  However, in general the TV manufacturers will subsidize at most only the most widely demanded apps (like Netflix and Hulu), not something like DirecTV Now, and - except for the largest - may have limited expertise in their own smart platform (many smaller manufacturers just buy it from a third party), so might not even be able to help technically.

Roku TV support basically came for free, since Roku TVs can (usually) run the same apps as standalone Roku, which was already supported.  Samsung (Tizen) was likely added since it has the largest market share of smart TVs (and even then they only added support for the most recent models).  On that basis, LG (WebOS) and Sony (Android TV) would be vying for the next to be done, but they basically already have a functional Android TV app (which for some reason they have not released), so it is unclear what their thinking/plans are.

Message 12 of 43
Teacher

My point I was trying to make is sound though, it takes both sides agreeing to make an app happen,   I don't believe that AT&T can do it on its own and put Directv Now apps out there for all the brands of TV's without those TV manufacturer companies at least giving a (Go Ahead).     That was the point I was driving at.

Message 13 of 43
ACE - Expert

Re: DirecTV Now app for Webos/LG OLED TV's

Always a possibility but do not count on it soon. I would suggest you go ahead and purchase a external device if you want the service. No telling what the subscription price would be if you continue to wait for the app on that device.

Tags (1)
Message 15 of 43
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support