Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T TV NOW New TV Experience - True Cloud DVR (beta)

Community Support

AT&T TV NOW New TV Experience - True Cloud DVR (beta)

With AT&T TV NOW, you now have the ability to store 20 hours of programming at no extra charge.

• You can keep the content for up to 30 days.
  • Once you reach 20 hours of storage, the oldest recording will be deleted.
  • With True Cloud DVR(beta), we’re still testing things out so you’re likely to see a few updates as we work on it.

RECORDING

• Content Airing Now
    1. While streaming live content, select REC
      • On a computer, REC appears in the lower-right of the video player. 
      • On a mobile device, tap the screen to display additional options and select REC.
    2. A confirmation will display and REC will highlight red.
    3. To watch later, go to My Library > DVR Recordings to view your playlist.
  • Record a scheduled show or series 
    1. Select a scheduled show from the Guide.
    2. Select Record or Record Series to add the title to your DVR Recordings.

At the moment, some channels are not currently available for live recording, such as HBO, HBO Family, HBO Latino, and Cinemax - but stay tuned for more updates.

WATCH A RECORDING AND MANAGER YOUR PLAYLIST

1. Go to My Library > DVR Recordings.
  2. Select a title from your list to watch. Or select Delete Recording to delete.
  3. Select Upcoming Recordings to view what’s scheduled to record. You can delete titles from recording 

TROUBLESHOOTING

• Content not Recording
    • Not all content is recordable per content provider rights.
    • If you are not subscribed to that channel, you will not be able to record it. Check your package to see if you are subscribed to that channel or if it is a local channel or regional sports channel, check to see if it is available to you.
    • You will not be able to record the channel if it is currently not available in your area. If you are traveling, you may no longer be able to access your local channels, so if you are trying to record a show in your area that is not available at your current location, it will give you an error.
    • If the show has no upcoming air dates, it will not allow you to record. If you search for a show and there are no upcoming airings of that show in the next 14 days, you will get an error message stating you are not able to record the show, since there are no listings for that show in the system.
  • Unable to Watch Recording
    • Test to see if you are having the same issue on another device.
    • Restart the device.
    • Make sure your device and the AT&T TV NOW app are up to date.
    • Check your internet connection.
    • Uninstall and reinstall the app.
    • If still having issues, the program may be corrupt. You may be able to view the content with 72-Hour Rewind or through one of our supported 3rd Party Network Apps or Sites.

-ATTCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 53
Mentor

Re: DIRECTV NOW New TV Experience - True Cloud DVR (beta)

It would be nice to get info on when they plan to move beyond 20 hours to 100 or 120 hours.  This was originally supposed to happen in September.  Now we are left guessing and waiting. 

Message 31 of 53

I've found the best solution to all the DVR issues is to not use it.  I get free Hulu through my cell phone provider, so the new episodes of the network shows that I watch are usually there after a day or so.  A lot of the channels have streaming apps, so I just download the channels to my Roku and find the shows I would have recorded through the DVR.   To give theDVR one more try, I deleted and re-set all my series recordings on the DVR, and I'm back to having shows I didn't set to record are recording, all episodes of a series are recording instead of just new episodes, playback doesn't work, etc.  The streaming apps work much much better and my frustration level with Direct TV Now is back to normal, just the standard buffering issue at 8:30 p.m. every night. 

Message 32 of 53
Contributor

First, I couldn’t hear on my DVR. I uninstalled the app and updated my Roku. Now, I can hear NOTHING on the app. This is very depressing and DISAPPOINTING!

Message 33 of 53
Tutor

So far not really impressed with the DVR.  This was part of the draw for me to DirecTV Now.  The functionality certainly doesn't replace what I have with my cable subscription that I want to cancel.  

Message 34 of 53
ACE - Expert

Don't see how the DVR could possible be a draw to DTVN. 20 hrs with a retention of 30 days and been in BETA for over a year. Amazing.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 53
Tutor

I did not realize how long the beta had been going on. 20 hours is not a
problem for me. I just wanted the main networks without necessarily having
to wait, so there are not a lot of options. It was not my main draw, but
it was a part of it. Hulu & Youtube seem to be the only other options that
have live network TV with DVR.
Message 36 of 53
Scholar

Apparently new subscribers such as myself can't access the DVR beta at all.   All we get on any platform or device when trying to record is "Something Went Wrong, Please Try Again".......No error codes, just that popup.    I know some people  including me tried chat support and were  either told it's a known problem or to reinstall their App, but that does nothing. I even got a DTVN App update today on my iPhone and hoped it would fix it, but no change.  I don't think it's a DVR Beta problem itself since it's only new subscribers, but more likely new accounts just not getting set up in the DVR system.

If I can't get DVR to work, I may have to just keep cable since we don't need a lot of recording time, but are big users of DVR on nearly a daily basis.

Message 37 of 53
ACE - Master

Watch out for YouTube's "DVR". They replace your "recorded" program with the VOD version. That might be OK with you, but it seems to bother some folks. That's why they can offer such high capacity.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 38 of 53
Contributor

Reading all the problems listed here, I’ve experienced most of them. This thing blows chunks, I’m not talking that lightweight prom date with one too many wine coolers puke either, I’m talking fleet sailors on a 2 day bender industrial grade stuff. Why bother! I tell you I don’t, I just don’t have a DVR! Can you recommend a hardware solution?

Message 39 of 53
Contributor

When we had traditional pay-TV (DIRECTV satellite, Comcast, etc) we had TiVo service and I have to say, everything else is a pale, pale comparison to *TiVo*. It has the VERY BEST user interface and solid reliability. You just have to be on either an over-the-air antenna or pay-TV. No TiVo solutions for streaming services. A company called “Weak Knees” sells TiVo gear and has lots of information on the various solutions.

Good luck.

Message 40 of 53
ACE - Master

Sailors are wimps, a real jag would be politicians on a "fact-finding" mission.

Not sure what you mean by a "hardware solution" but one way to record streams would be PlayOn:

https://www.playon.tv/

The desktop version would be a "hardware solution", but I don't know if that's what you mean.

Message 41 of 53
Contributor

And here I wondered if I was the only DTVN (New) subscriber with the problems you outlined.  I'd add, in your list of Chat responses, "We recommend you perform basic troubleshooting techniques on your devices."  I asked her to list those techniques and after ignoring my text for  a couple of minutes I suggested if she can't help me to just tell me she couldn't.  Her response, "I can't help you."  Ugh!

Message 42 of 53

same issue content has a issue and won't play  on bottom 10006-008 uninstalled and reinstalled app re started my firestick switched my hdmi ports

Message 43 of 53

I am having DTN DVR issues as well as sound issues. The DVR records but won't playback on my new 2018 Samsung Smart TV. I don't have any issues with play back with my Roku stick on my other, much smaller TV. I currently have no sound on 16 of 45 channels!!! including HBO which I pay extra for!!! only on the Samsung Smart TV. Supposedly, an update for the Samsung QN model TVs, which I have, was released on 1/7/19 for the sound issues. There was no update available in my Samsung TV. Why buy a brand new very expensive Samsung TV that says has the DirecTV Now platform pre-loaded into it and it does not work. I am researching switching to another streaming service. Can anyone recommend one that currently works great on a Samsung QN49Q6FNAF TV ??

Message 44 of 53
ACE - Master

"Can anyone recommend one that currently works great on a Samsung QN49Q6FNAF TV ??

Any supported external streaming device should work fine:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/directv-now/KM1200941?isreauth=true&gsi=2TF8tKEo

Personally I think the ATV4Ks are the best, or at least the fastest, but as always YMMV.

Message 45 of 53
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support