Protect yourself online
bkr40's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, March 30th, 2013 5:37 PM

What settings do you use when configuring email on an iPad?

I'm trying to set up email on my wife's iPad.  We have SBCGLOBAL.NET email accounts.  When I use OTHER on the iPad and put in her email address, it says the incoming server is imap.mail.yahoo.com and the outgoing is smtp.mail.yahoo.com. 

I've always used pop.att.yahoo.com for incoming and smtp.att.yahoo.com for outgoing.

What are the right server names and how do I tell the iPad that the incoming is a POP server not IMAP?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

I just checked the AT&T Yahoo web site and here are the settings:

DomainPOP Server / PortSMTP Server / PortSSL Required?POP3 User ID/User NameProtocol Type
ameritech.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@ameritech.netPOP3
att.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@att.netPOP3
bellsouth.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@bellsouth.netPOP3
flash.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@flash.netPOP3
nvbell.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@nvbell.netPOP3
pacbell.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@pacbell.netPOP3
prodigy.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@prodigy.netPOP3
sbcglobal.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@sbcglobal.netPOP3
snet.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@snet.netPOP3
swbell.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@swbell.netPOP3
wans.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@wans.netPOP3

If your wife is not planing to use the iPad as her primary for reading email then configure the 'delete from server' under advanced to 'never'. This way she can delete the email from iPad and it still will be on her primary device.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi bkr40, hopefully the information that apexron provided got it up and running. I have a colleague at work that has his iPad working right now through the pop settings that apexron provided.

att.netinbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@att.netPOP3

The pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com should work also as they point to the same server, but it would be best to use the ones listed above.

Also, I have been informed the IMAP setup should work also, but we have not tested it.

Although Uverse does not work with IMAP on most mail clients, it does use IMAP on cell phone applications. The settings are as follow:

• Incoming Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Outgoing Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Incoming Port: 993 (requires SSL)
  • Outgoing Port: 465 (requires SSL/TLS)
  • User name: full email address (for example, bill@yahoo.com or bill@rocketmail.com)
  • Password: the password you use to log in to Yahoo! with.

Please let us know if this worked for you by marking it "Correct Answer." If you are still having issues, let us know what errors you are getting, and we would be glad to find a solution for you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This has got me bugged. I have until now had no problem setting up email accounts on my iPad2.

None of the options above have fixed he problem.

Of the email account options within the iPad, I've tried Yahoo and Other. I have tried all suggestions and none have worked. Please Help!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Same issue. Happened recently.
I can log in to att.yahoo.com > check mail
However, NONE of my email clients (mac mail, iphone mail.app, Thunderbird) are working, from anywhere (home, school, work)
I am attempting to use IMAP.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Thank you DaviCS.

The settings for IMAP you provided helped me out with my IMAP issues.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.