Protect yourself online
RHinCT's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Saturday, February 15th, 2014 4:16 PM

Italics behavior is driving me MAD

Using the AT&T Email web interface to compose an email, the behavior of the Italics button (the only formatting option I use) is driving me mad.  Let me give you an example of the behavior I am experiencing.

1) Type a paragraph.

2) Highlight a phrase in the middle of the paragraph.  Click on the Italic button.  The phrase becomes italics.

3) Reposition the cursor at the bottom of what has been typed so far, NOT adjacent to the section in italics, and the Italic button becomes highlighted.  When I type it is in italics.  I do not want italics, I want plain text.  Nothing I have found will turn off italics.  While I can click on the Italics button and the shading goes away, it returns the moment I type any character.

4) Having a section of text that is in italics, I can not turn it back to plain text.  I can highlight it and hit the italcs button, but that only changes the shading of the italics button - the text remains in italics.

I find the use of italics when writting a valuable tool for expressing my message.  I use them when writting on any number of other web sites and systems.  Everywhere else italics and other special text attributes work logically.  Only in the AT&T Email system do I find such illogical and inexplicable behavior.  Please fix it, or tell me what I am doing wrong.

Note that the window where I am composing this message works correctly!  It works like every other such system I have ever used... ever other except AT&T Email.

Thank you.

RH in CT

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

RHinCT - I wanted to make a suggestion, so I tried it on my Mac using Google chrome as browser.

The suggestion is to use Command I instead of the I button & it did work for only the selection.

So, I tried the I button & that worked, too.

Are you using a different browser, that I should try (firefox or Safari)? I cannot change computers.

Scholar

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

Actually, this is NOTunique to AT&T and is a common "feature" that causes this. For example, I'm an advid WordPress developer and see it there and in other applications as well. What you described is annoying, for sure, but...

My suggestion; assuming you proof read what you type, just type away in the default font, then as you proof read apply any special text formatting then as I did here. Do it a few times, it quickly becomes second nature.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

Browser is Firefox under Windows 7.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

RHinCT - I tried it with firefox on my Mac & found that it was staying italic for addl typing. Although it appeared to mostly allow changing the selected one back and forth.

I looked around & found a double arrow at the right end of the taskbar that includes the I button, Hovering over the double arrow says change to plain text. I clicked - after that the italic worked as you want it to. I clicked back to rich text & it continued to work the way you want it to.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for trying to help.

When I click on that it removes all special text, and when I click on it again it goes back as plain text.  Anything I made italic is back as plain text.  So I can "fix" the entry problem at the cost of all the italics (or bold, or whatever) that I have set up.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

RHinCT - No, that is not what I meant. I meant - after getting back to rich text it worked correctly. If you cycle it once is it then in a position that you can move forward with setting italics at will without it persisting on hew typing.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

@aviewerThis reply is not aimed at you, rather the moderators of the forum.

Dear AT&T:

Combined Windows share is 91 percent. How do you justify labeling as a community accepted solution something applicable for 11 percent of the operating systems?

Signed,

A Disillusioned Customer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I believe the problem is timing - Back on 2-15-14, it appears there were two sites - one had Favorites & the other did not.

Looks like there have been recent changes that caused the second site to lose favorites.

This is one of the limitations of a forum such as this (actually it is a problem with everything on the web) - It is a snapshot in time - If it is helpful, great. If not, something has changed.

There cannot be a process to constantly monitor old posts for validity. What there should be is usability check of every modification to make it more usable - not less usable.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

@laser2sail wrote:

@aviewerThis reply is not aimed at you, rather the moderators of the forum.

Dear AT&T:

Combined Windows share is 91 percent. How do you justify labeling as a community accepted solution something applicable for 11 percent of the operating systems?

Signed,

A Disillusioned Customer

The mods do not apply the Community Accepted Solution tag.  Other members do. 

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

The lesson being: don't come here for guidance.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.