Protect yourself online
spetry's profile

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, December 7th, 2013 2:03 AM

Can't access web email site on new U-Verse internet

Two days ago, Wednesday, 12/4/13, I had a new U-Verse internet connection installed. Immediately I noted problems accessing my newly imported 'old' @sbcglobal.net and @att.net email accounts with my Outlook 2007 client. [That has since been resolved and acknowledged in another post]

I also immediately found I could not access my company's web Outlook email web page; all I get is the "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page". Now the laptop I use goes EVERYWHERE with me, even overseas. The only place I cannot reach that web mail page is on this new U-Verse connection. An hour after the installer left I contacted U-Verse support and after about 45 minutes the support agent, with help from a "supervisor" said they knew what they could do, but could take 48 hours to correct, and that supervisor would call me directly to confirm the fix. They took my phone number and we left it at that.

It has now been over the 48 hours, I have received no contact, and I still cannot access my web Outlook for my email.

Can anyone point me to someone that could help with this matter??  I fail to see why this internet connection should not be able to access a simple, generic webmail client.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Three weeks later, and numerous calls to U-Verse Support, I finally have this resolved. After escalation through various levels of support teams, including 'SOS Team', I finally got someone to agree my issue was not my computer and send a tech to the house. Tech went through all the basics and router resets etc., saw there was a true problem and decided to go to the 'box', up the road somewhere, and change the port on my internet service. With that, access to my business webmail site was restored.

In a later contact from a support guy in Milwaukee, named Rob, it was concluded the original public IP address I had, 172.x.x.x, was being blocked at some domain along the way to the email server. The new IP address, 99.x.x.x, sails through just fine. I recognized the 172.x.x.x address is usually reserved for private networks but didn't give it much thought. Rob stated they are now noting instances where those addresses are being rejected by some equipment, causing issues like mine.

I applaud AT&T for finally getting to the bottom of this, but also want to express my frustration at the huge disparity in the competence of the support folks I went through. Some had no business on a support line; others understood what I was telling them and acted on it very well.

I thought I'd relate this as I'm sure someone, somewhere, is going to run into this again if the 172.x.x.x address range is continuing to be used like this.

Cheers,

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi spetry,

I apologize for the issue you are having accessing your web email site. I would be happy to look into this further for you. I will be sending you a private message to gather more information, so we can begin looking into this further.

-David T

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, a common problem is that only a portion of the 172.x.x.x address space is reserved for private use: 172.16.0.0/12. This corresponds to addresses in the range 172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255. Other address space in the 172.x.x.x block including 172.0.0.0 through 172.15.255.255, and 172.32.0.0 through 172.255.255.255 is publically routable address space.

The problem is that the /12 CIDR mask is not well-known by some admins, and some admins and firewalls mistakenly block 172.0.0.0/8 vice the proper block, 172.16.0.0/12. This leads exactly to the issue that affected you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

How did you get a tech to come out to the house and fix this? I had to have the tech come to my house 3 times because of the instability of uverse but I believe that is fixed. Now if I play with the incoming address port number I can get incoming mail but I can't get outgoing mail to work at all with Outlook 2007. I have not been able to get any help by calling the helpdesk. They put me through to connect.net but they charge me. However, that worked but it looks like they reset it back to not working and now I can't get any help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.