MartinSchwe's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, January 13th, 2011 7:28 AM

printer wired to desktop no longer accessed by laptop wireless connect. post uverse install

Prior to today, had att dsl connected via ethernet cable from westell modem to desktop and wireless connection from modem to laptop.  Wired printer connected to desktop was shared with laptop via same modem.  Uverse service was installed today.  Laptop can no longer access printer.

I want to keep printer connected to desktop via LPT1 and share with laptop via wireless connection.

My knowledge is very limited when it comes to networks, modems, wireless connections, etc...  So, if you can help me, please limit use of acronyms and technical jargon and polysyllabic words e.g., go to (blank), click on (blank), etc...

I managed to set up printing from laptop on my own so I'm not a complete dummy, but when it comes to what I'm trying to do now, my desire has exceeded my ability.

I hope someone can give me a complete step by step for what I'm trying to do.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

802 Messages

13 years ago

Try this. With both your desktop and laptop turned on, follow these steps on each:

1. Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt

2. Type ipconfig /flushdns and hit Enter.

3. Type ipconfig /registerdns and hit Enter.

Now, try viewing workgroup computers and accessing each. (Start>My Newtwork Places>View Workgroup Computers)

Guru

• 

802 Messages

13 years ago

What is the OS of your desktop (Windows 7? XP? Mac?). Is your desktop visible on the network from your lappy? Is sharing verified enabled on your desktop? A little more info is needed.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Both desktop and laptop are running a version of XP.  Laptop purchased later has XP Media Edition.  Printer sharing is turned on, on desktop.  Was working before Uverse.  Regarding laptop seeing desktop, when I go to My Network Places, I see a msn website, sbared docs on the laptop and shared docs on the desktop.  When I try to view workgroup computers, I get an error message that says, "Workgroup is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use the network resource...  The network path was not found."

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

thoughts

1  ip range change

2  firewall rules change  (since router has been changed )

note :  os (xp) problem

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Tried your steps.  Initially, desktop saw laptop in workgroup.  Laptop only saw itself.  Ran steps again on laptop.  Tried to view workgroup.  Laptop locked up.  Tried to shut off, got hung up on installing an update.  Said don't turn off computer, it will turn off automatically when finished updating.  Half hour later it hadn't so I did.  Rebooted, ran steps again on laptop.  Still didn't see desktop.  Then lost wireless connection twice.  First time did the "diagnose problem".  Was reconnected but immediately lost again.  Viewed connection, clicked "repair".  Got connection back again.  Viewed workgroup from laptop.  Desktop was listed.  pulled up printer, clicked on properties, they were displayed.  Printed a test page.  It printed.

You are a genius!  Thank you very much.  Hopefully this will be of assistance to many others in my same position.  AT&T regular support said that this problem was beyond their realm of solutions but that their for fee tech. support could probably assist.  In all the searching I had done, I didn't once see your solution.  And, it is the simplest of all that I read.  Thanks again. 

Guru

• 

802 Messages

13 years ago

Glad to help.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I too had a wireless printer that would be seen by my network once on Uverse. Solution was to use the WPS (Wifi Protected Setup) capability. This involved pressing a WPS button on both the router and the printer to have them recognize each other (but first getting the printer to print out a WPS secret code). 

Then going to the admin interface of the router and enabling WPS mode and entering the code from the printer.

Hope this helps others as this problem was very difficult to solve.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.