info-trek's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, March 31st, 2013 12:24 AM

What happened to *69 for last number received instead of a $8 charge to trace a call? My old phone doesn't work with caller ID.

What happened to *69 for last call received? There is now an $8 charge to trace a call. My older phone does not have caller ID and I just want to find out my last caller's number.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Hello =). The U-Verse voice line that you have is actually a Voice Over (VOIP) phone and it functions similar to Skype. Our analog or POTS (plain old telephone service)  phone is essentially one piece of wire from you to the person you are calling whereas the VOIP phone uses an internet type technology that turns your voice into a digital signal and breaks that signal up into many, many "packets" of information that then take various routes to complete your call. It is because of this improved digital technology that we are not able to provide the *69 callback feature.

Here is a link to some helpful information regarding your AT&T U-Verse Voice services that will show you how to use all of the great features such as viewing your recent calls on your television and online as well!

U-verse Voice calling features and star codes - AT&T U-verse TV Support

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have to disagree with the VOIP reason for not providing *69 service. FIOS Voice is also a similar type of alternative phone service in the Verizon franchised areas. They DO provide services such as *69 (although not with the recording advising to press "1" to complete," as well as other features that are simply lacking on Uverser Voice such as speed calling (they use *75 for 100 numbers in lieu of the normal 30) and at an optional cost, distinctive ring numbers (AKA Ringmaster, Identa a Ring or whatever the local trademark is). I do understand the $8 charge for call trace (*57) since if  it was really an emergency, this cost is nothing. On the BellSouth Complete Choice Plan, this feature ( as well as the others I mentioned) are part of my package,. But   how many times does one really use Call Trace? Because of this reason, I'm surprised they don't automatically put it on everyone's line as a pay per use feature. Once again, going back to my experience with Verizon, they configure their lines this way. Getting back to the *69 Call Return Feature, this is a major reason why I will keep my traditional phone service. Some of my extensions (such as my phone in the garage) simply does not have a Caller ID display. Therefore, the Call Return feature is very important for me - just as it is for the individual who initiated the original question.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I note that AT&T keeps calling its VOIP service 'improved' when its new infrastructure doesn't work when there are prolonged power outages, doesn't allow us access to the functionality (e.g. *69 and other features) we used to have, has longer delays in connecting to other phones, and in no way actually seems to be an improvement for customers.

When AT&T 'improved' the landline service in my last residence, it was nearly 6 weeks before I had a reliably working telephone line again, and even then half of the phone connections in the house no longer worked at all.

The switch away from POTS was unrequested, undesired, and resulted in loss of service for weeks on end. This was NOT a good customer experience.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

What a crock!

Comcast telephone service uses an identical technology!  You can get the last number dialed on their digital phone service by keying in a code followed by returning the call if you want...  

ATT has just chosen to get more money for the caller ID by calling it a trace.  They may also identify the caller but so what!  They should be honest about it and not lie like what is stated in this response.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

@johntroy,

According to the article at

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/local-long-distance/KM1049465

*69 is call return.  *57 is call trace.  If you have just tested this and found it to not be true, please reply back so that we can have the support article corrected.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

When I dial *69, after a delay I am told I am not authorized to use the service.  When my TV is on and my phone rings, the TV shows the phone number and identity of the caller.  I set neither of these up.

Got the picture yet?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

@johntroy wrote:

When I dial *69, after a delay I am told I am not authorized to use the service.  When my TV is on and my phone rings, the TV shows the phone number and identity of the caller.  I set neither of these up.

Got the picture yet?

I find it hard to believe that that feature is not an option but I looked through the Uvoice Guide I was given years ago and could not find any reference to *69 nor could I find it on this PDF version

While I don't use Call Return, I can't imagine that something that basic is not available but I could be wrong.

Side note: You do have the option of turning off On-Screen Caller ID if you choose.  Access through the Go Interactive button on your UV remote and find Phone Services.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Surprise, surprise! In the past, with other phone services including AT&T (not u-verse), when the caller ID did not identify the caller, I would dial *69 and would get the number of the last incoming call, at no charge. Without this feature, I could not identify today who the caller was on two consecutive calls received. Since I do not have the TV turned on all day (even then, I am not looking straight at it all the time), I was not able to see who was calling. Inasmuch as many cellular callers - from doctors' and other important calls - do not show their number, I have opted to answer those calls most of the time only to find out that they were automated, unwanted calls. Many thanks to those who posted clarifying data for those of us who didn't know the drill. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.