larryg373's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, October 15th, 2013 1:47 PM

Uverse voice service in Northfield, Illinois - constantly being dropped (6X in last three weeks)

Voice service has been lost 6 times (no dial tone) in the last three weeks. The voice service has now been off since yesterday night. Internet and television service is okay. Uverse support tools say that a network outage has been reported and that no attempt should be made to call someone because they can add nothing.

Before this, there have been no problems with the voice service.

There are 2 road construction projetcs going on nearby - one major. - the Willow Road construction. I suspect that the construction crews are doing something to prevent the voice service.

Does anyone know anything further about the Uverse voice problems in Northfield, Illinois?

Thank you for any information.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

larryg373 - So, I was so focused on one aspect I forgot part 2.

U-verse voice dial tone source is the RG. You need to plug in a phone & cord known to be good into the tel jack on the RG. If you do not get dial tone it is an at&t problem. If you do get dial tone, the problem is in your house wiring that is your responsibility to maintain. If at&t works it there will be a charge, unless you have wire maintenance on your account.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Here is an e-support article telling you how to check for outages:  http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB407223#fbid=4dHZxRdsIOi

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

larryg373 - You do not say if you have U-verse voice or POTS & You do not say if you have addl u-verse services. Sounds like you have both U-verse voice and other service. The way the voice signal rides the u-verse broadband signal it is not possible to lose just the voice from a physical break in the wire (i.e. construction). If construction disrupts service it would affect all your U-verse services.

People in your situation are in trouble because no one will address your problem. They say it is the bigger outage, when it can be a different problem. It falls on you to call in and require that they address your problem.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for your replies. 

I have Uverse voice (not POTS), Internet, and television.

From what aviewer said, I think the construction is not the problem. I have called in and set up a repair appointment.

Thank you again.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Aviewr, I embarassed to say apparently I had a problem plugging my phone into the RG before.  Now I plug my phone in and get a dial tone. So,  it is an internal wiring problem.

The online troubleshooter said before there was an outage in the area. It is not saying that now.

I wonder why the problem is intermittent but I guess that is for the AT&T tech to resolve.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

larryg373 - Did you mark this as a solution? Did you find dial tone on the RG? Do you want to talk about the house wiring?

I guess we were posting at the same time. Is the phone plugged into the RG directly intermittent? The most common cause would be the handset cord is worn out - broken conductor - sometimes it touches & sometimes it does not. Maybe stretch it to see it it opens the circuit

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.