For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Drymar's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, August 16th, 2014 2:39 PM

Receiving fax with uverse voicemail

I am unable to receive fades on my hp all in one fax machine. When the fax tried to connect the phone says voicemail box is not accepting faxes.
Does anyone know how to fix this issue so I can receive faxes?

I can send faxes no problem at this time

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I believe MTs answer is good for standard FAX operation. But, the OP is more complicated.

" When the fax tried to connect the phone says voicemail box is not accepting faxes."

So a FAX is incoming & the machine tries to shake hands but fails??

Where does the mesage appear ? On the HP display? On a phone display.

Sounds like a setup problem on the HP.

But,the word voicemail sounds like U-verse voicemail. I thought I was remembering that the voicemail could be set up to receive a FAX, but, I cannot find anything on it.

I would like more detail on exactly what is happening.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I am having the same problem.  It is the U-verse voicemail, NOT my fax, that is giving the message "this voice mailbox is not set up to receive faxes".

I can send out faxes from my home number but not receive faxes at home since switching from copper wire AT&T to U-verse.

If I set up the fax to pick up at fewer rings than voice mail, all my callers will get fax instead of voice mail. I get more calls than faxes, and the need does not justify a second line for faxes, but I do need to be able to receive faxes.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Fewer rings for fax and more rings for voicemail is not really a practical solution.  It would mean nothing ever goes to VM.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

7 years ago

There is a service where the AT&T voicemail picks up a fax and you can retrieve it by logging into the voicemail portal.  So I assume what's happening is when the voicemail picks up and gets the fax tone it's telling you the service is not set up.  I can find nothing on how to set this up.  So setting the voice mail to more rings than your fax will work unless you're using the line, you could put an in home answering machine ahead of your fax that will pass a fax through to the fax machine. Here's a link for HP that tells you how to set it up, I'm sure other brands have the same info.  You'll need to turn off the AT&T voicemail for this to work correctly. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you, spoom2.
I would really like to find out how to set up the service where AT&T voicemail picks up faxes so I can retrieve them.
I really can't turn off the AT&T voicemail-I switched a year ago from using the voicemail in my fax machine to AT&T voicemail because of the latter's features.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you, spoom2.
I would really like to find out how to set up the service where AT&T voicemail picks up faxes so I can retrieve them.
I really can't turn off the AT&T voicemail-I switched a year ago from using the voicemail in my fax machine to AT&T voicemail because of the latter's features.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

7 years ago

Hopefully someone more familiar with the service will chime in with an answer as to how to set it up.  Calling AT&T tech support may get you the answer also. 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

7 years ago

Found this hope it helps.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.