For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
gght's profile

Scholar

• 

114 Messages

Monday, July 9th, 2012 8:31 PM

Porting Number From Uverse

This may not be an appropriate place to post this question. Has anyone ever ported a Uverse phone number to another provider. I currently have phone, Internet and TV and I want to keep the Internet and TV services but I want to port my phone number to another provider and drop the phone service. The other provider attempted the port process and at&t told them that the line needed to be converted to a "voice only" line. So, I called up at&t (3-4 times) and after talking to 4-5 reps, I was told by two reps that it shouldn't be any problem to port. The other reps didn't really know what to say.  The other provider said the line is portable. I've had the line for about twenty years and don't really want to lose the number (at this point). Any advice?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

114 Messages

12 years ago

Ok, I contacted Alex and within hours, his assistant replied to my email. In a day or so, a contact with att&t office of the president (escalation office), contacted me about the porting issue. It took a while to do this because of a learning process with T-Mobile, but they stayed on top of things and contacted me "daily" with status updates. I even got a call from the case worker's supervisor to ask how things were going.

I wanted to port my number to a T-Mobile prepaid phone and apparently Uverse doesn't have a contract with T-Mobile. So my options were to convert the line to a land line or they could do a procedure to have my land line number forward to the cell phone (this kills the land line btw). We decided to use the latter option.

Thanks to Alex and his team and especially to at&t escalation office (Adrianna) for diligently working this request. There was no benefit to at&t by doing this. Their time is greatly appreciated!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

gght - My suggestion would be to try again with your new provider. Anyone can make a mistake. Could be they got a bad tech when they contacted att. If that does not work hand it over to Alex link to send him a PM - He will need your account number (http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/318276) . He will get you someone who can get the job done.

Scholar

• 

114 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks Czar. Can you validate the link to contact Alex?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

gght - I was looking for a shortcut - guess that did not work. Alex's user name is   Community ManagerATTAlexCM look for this name in posts -click on that & you wiill get a screen that has a a send this user a pM.

Or, click the blue envelope - upper right & send message to alex's name.

Scholar

• 

114 Messages

12 years ago

Ok, I submitted a second transfer/port process and again at&t said that a uVerse line can not be ported and that it must first be converted to a regular land line (POTS). I'll ask Alex about this and see what he says.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for reporting back, and with positive feedback!  Smiley Happy

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for posting.  Enjoy.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

OK I am going to do the same thing.  I want to port my number (I have had for years) from my uverse account.  I am going to use a magicjack.  (Tested and works fine here).  Bottom line - If I request the port from MagicJack will ATT OK it or it will be a big hastle.  I am not planning on contacting ATT first just request the port.  Any suggetions will be appreciated.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

As long as MagicJack collects all of the correct information from you and sends it to AT&T as a port request and you keep the AT&T line active until you activate the TN on MagicJack, it will port fine.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Do you mind my asking how your port to MagicJack went?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.