lionofct's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 4:33 PM

Closed

Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

9 years ago

This is more a function/fault of VOiP phone service. With landline service, which I just gave up 5 mos. ago for the cheaper VOiP U-verse service, I never had a problem like this. However, I have also been harrassed by several others who also spoof their phone numbers, e.g., using my own area code, using my exact home phone number, and numbers a few digits off, as well as many other numbers.

I make use of the call blocking and see from my online list of calls, (not all of which get through), it seems to be working, but on a limited basis. However, just like with the landline, what these harrassing sob's do is spoof another number inorder to get around the call blocking. It's a game with them. But, while it's annoying to me, I have the time to play this game too; and it's costing them money--NOT ME! And as for registering with the National Do Not Call registry; well that's nothing more than a National Do Not Bother Wasting Your Time registry. I have registered all my phones with them but the calls continue. However, it is interesting to note that I got an email back from the National Do Not Call registry telling me that I have registered too many times, (I keep doing it because they keep doing nothing to stop it), and I am no longer able to register any more!

Tutor

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

I get a lot of these too; so far no one who's 1 left me a reply.   lol

I have my ringer volumn so low that I cannot even hear calls; if folk leave me a voice mail, if I so choose, I'll call back.    The so called no calls list just tells others that you exist, so I don't sign up on that too.  This strategy's worked for me over a decade.   It's how I handle my junk email too; ignore it.    🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

It shouldn't be allowed. Anything less than a complete valid number should be rejected. Also call blocking based on name should be possible. TOLL FREE CALLE, CONSUMER SVCS, LIFE ALERT, Unavailable, should all be blockable, and I should be able to do it from the phone at the time they call. 20 numbers is not enough. Even 40 isn't enough. (I set up Exclusive Call Forwarding to forward another 20 numbers to one of the nuisance call numbers) It needs to be unlimited.

Former Employee

• 

422 Messages

9 years ago

@lionofct wrote:

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

This can be blocked by AT&T, it is quite easy to be honest its litterally a ticket made to a department and then its added to the blocked call list that is on the att.com website. You can ask tech support to contact the department UARC and report the problem. (I Submit several of these a day)

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

that national "do not call " list is like telling a 3 yr old to "stop it" and "behave"

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

A "nic" is short for Network Interfae Card.  Its a doodad inside your computer to communicate using a network

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

9 years ago

What department, or is it called "UARC"? I spoke to someone at AT&T earlier who told me that nothing can be done about these types of numbers being entered. So, if they can I would certainly like to know how and who to contact. I had another one of these yesterday. I have been getting so many phone calls yielding phoney caller ID's, partial numbers, "Not Available", etc., ever since I switched from VOiP service that I am considering doing away with my phone service all together and simply use my cell phone. Between cell service and home phone service, (either landline or VOiP), they are both way too expensive and I don't need it all! But, I sure would like to know who to complain to about this.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

We actually canceled and went with Google phone. Initial investment was 40.00 for the OBI box to connect phone line to your PC.  Until AT&T addresses the horrendous amounts of junk calls, we will not go back.  They can/need  offer better blocking management and I'm sure if they spent some time and energy on it, it would get done.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Scholar

• 

109 Messages

9 years ago

You cannot stop the "1" it is used by telemarketers by "spoofing". Spoofing is a perfectly legal way for them to provide your caller-ID with a fraudulent number. You may even receive a call that shows up on your caller ID as your own number, I did and if you hit redial you will get your own callnotes ! The "do not call list" is yet another government failure, people just ignore it anymore.  The ONLY thing you can do is: IF YOU DONT KNOW WHO IT IS , DONT ANSWER.

Good luck, the absolute worst offender IMO is SirusXM,

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.