evandorman's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, July 12th, 2013 1:23 PM

can i have multiple rf remote controls in the same house???

My set up has two uverse receivers in the same closet.  Both set up with RF remotes BUT feeding different TV's.  I have tried everything I know to get the two remotes to work independantly, but cannot.  I have done the rf synch with both powered on and again wto each with power off to the other.  Did the tv synch things seperately as well.  Is there a way to get each RF control only a single box?  Many thanks for the help.......  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

evandorman - Isolate them visually. Think of the dongle as an IR remote. If you want it to control only one box. Only that one box can see it. If another does see it, it will respond.

The cover must cover/enclose the front of the STB and the dongle. I believe I started with a tissue box. Do not cover the cooling slots. If you put it in a larger enclosure it needs air flow for cooling.

Do you have an IOS device? Look at the buddy TV app to replace the RF remote/dongle & do away with all this visual isolation.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

evandorman - Yes, you can accomplish your objective in two easy steps.

1) Set up the RF side to make each remote/dongle pair unique (9999 codes available) {probably what you did}

2) Throw a blanket over each STB. Isolate the IR generated between the dongle and the STB for the two setups. Setup 1 must not be exposed to setup 2 & vice verse. If the two are visible to each other it is just like having them in the open room with two IR remotes. Both STBs will respond to both dongles. Your RF isolation has been over- ridden.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry if this is s stupid question but....

the two boxes are in the same closet - right nowfacing each other.  If i put them on different shelves in the same closet will that work?  Stacked, maybe 14" apart?  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

rereading now and maybe coffee just kicked in.  Should i just block the IR on each?  Duck tape or something?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

The dongle provides the IR commands for the STB from the RF remote. (The Dongle only gets power from the USB port, it doesn't use the USB port to control the STB.)  Each dongle's output can be reflected to the other STB that you don't intend to control.  Take some steps to shield the output of each dongle from getting to the other STB.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

evandorman - No, I believe those measures are not enough, I have an RF remote for one TV and an IR remote for another - see my avatar.
When I had the RF hidden under the cabinet a slight crack in the partition was enough to let the IR through. Tape on the IR receiver may even improve its ability to see the other dongle.

One person reported the dongle controlling the IR STB two rooms away.

The blanket was a joke, but you need that level of isolation. Make a muzzle of thin cardboard to enclose the dongle and the front of the STB & tape it to the STB. Probably one is enough. But, I would do both STBs.

An alternative would be to put one STB behind its TV in the room. This will only work if you have no IR STBs that are visible from that room. You could actually use an IR remote. Which is what I do.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

OK.. i think i get it now.  Just to make sure.. i can leave BOTH boxes in the same closet but need to isolate each one of them - the entire STB with the dongle.  So i can enclose each - or maybe just one - in a cardboard box, tape it up tight and should be good to go?  Sounds goofy, but why not...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

got it!  Thanks for the help... will report back on progress.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.