Icebeamer's profile

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

Monday, December 26th, 2011 9:47 PM

When remote power is pressed, cable receiver goes on but TV doesn't and vice versa when turned off

I have Uverse at home and every now and again the TV and cable receiver gets out of synch but when I press "OK" like it says on the blue screen everything is fine.

So my parents have Uverse and they seem to have a problem where the cable will go on and the TV won't and then when you turn it off, the cable will go off and the TV will turn on. I'm pretty tech savvy but I can't for the life of me get theirs to synch up. Even when "OK" is pressed on the blue screen, it does absolutely nothing.

I'd love to give my parents a solution to this....any suggestions? Thank you!! They have an HD TV but the receiver is off to the side about 2-3 feet to the left of the TV on the same stand, perhaps that's the reason? How do I get it back synched up if that's it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Icebeamer - Perhaps the TV and the STB being in different directions is causing a problem with the initial turn-on.

When you press the power button, look at the remote to see how long the att button and the TV button stay lit.

Then try pointing the remote between the TV & STB (also try pointing at ceiling) for the whole length of time.

or

Try to time a wave past the STB to the TV that is timed to match each light duration.

If that is too complicated then you need to go to the separate power pushes & aim at each device while in its mode. With this method you may want to change the volume control to the STB, also. Then you only point at the TV to turn it on/off all other activities are STB actions.

Maybe just pointing at the STB (without making any changes) is the answer because the TV is most likely more responsive to weak IR that the STB.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

The OK button is the only way to do it with one remote. Since you can not see anything when the TV is off it makes sense to me to hit the power again & get the blue screen & hit OK as you describe,

Perhaps the TV is emanating IR interference when it is on - masking the OK. You could try repositioning the STB.TRy aiming the remote at the ceiling or the floor when pressing ok.

You can also break the connection of doing both with one power hit. Press att/ok together then 977 then enter.

Now you can power on the TV (with the TV button active) then hit the att button and power on the STB. More work but good if it works.

If it does not work you can do the reverse order. then you have to go back to the att button while watching.

Maybe separate power is too complicated. Then you have to go for a Logitech Harmony Remote. But, I think the models 200/300 will not give you enough control. You need to start with 600 & up. This will allow one button start up, but you can do the STB first to avoid interference form the TV.

Which brings us full circle - Maybe the TV is blocking the STB on signal. As a test, cover the TV screen with a sheet. If the STB comes on with the power button we can talk more about haw to live with that.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

12 years ago

Wow....thank you so much for taking the time to write all this. I actually followed what you were saying AND understood it! 🙂 This gives me alot to think about and to relay back to my parents. Thank you again.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

12 years ago

Aviewer, I have to tell you I just got off the phone with my father to walk him through this (I live 200 miles away) and there was success!! What I did is walk him through reprogramming his remote because I felt like it just wasn't properly programmed plus I made sure that my parents know to not have anything blocking the IR, and as I told them that my father says well from where mom sits there's a chair that's in the way!! We laughed about that but they're 70 and it was cute. So success!! I'm so excited I could help them and thank you for everything you wrote!!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Icebeamer - Thanks for letting me know everything worked out great. I know it is difficult to walk someone through some activity. I hope the problems are gone for good. But, if something else crops up, you know where to post.

Make sure your folks are set up to take the minimum distribution from their IRAs in 2012 to keep Uncle Sam happy.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.