For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
PaleoKurt's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thursday, October 6th, 2011 3:09 AM

Wait...I have to buy a remote for my Uverse to work Correctly?!

This was the exact conversation I had earlier.  My Remote has been acting really laggy / non responsive in my living room (Every other room works perfect)  I called tech support, went through the test, he sent a tech out that same day which was awesome, he came out, replaced the remote, stil donig it. Replaced the DVR, Still doing it.  repostioned my box all over the entertainment center still doing it.      he suggested I get an RF remote, and he left. 

I called Customer Service, then tech support, saying I have to buy an RF remote for 63 bucks to have my uverse work propperlly...  Why am I having to pay extra, when I am already paying an Equipment fee already, not ot mention, Something that should have worked from the get go? 

has anyone else had this issue? Anyone tried an RF remote to see if it corrects the issue? I would really hate to spend 63 bucks on the techs 3rd guess on whats wrong with my system...

I ve never had any issues with my Uverse till this, and the way its being handled...I hope never have anymore issues with it, its been a nightmare. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

650 Messages

13 years ago

On Sony TVs it is called Light Sensor, under Menu > Preferences > ECO > Light Sensor > On or off.

Other manufacturers use a similar technology. It basically adjusts the display based on the room light levels, sort of like how your thermostat tells the furnace/central air when to come on and shut off based on temperature level it senses.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

You could swap your DVR/STB and remote with one from the other room and see if the problem moves to the other room or stays in the room where it is.  If it stays in the room where it is, there is probably some sort of interference that might be eliminated with a RF remote.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Ive done all that, its isolated to the T.V. in the living room, the tech turned the t.v. off, and was hitting buttons on the remote, and it still took multiple times for the light on the dvr to respond, so no change there.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Move the DVR to another room. Use the STB from that room in the living room. First try it in the normal forward facing position.

If it does not work you need to really hide it. Mine is currently resting on the TV wall mount aimed at the ceiling. I bounce the IR signal off the ceiling.
or put it on the floor under the E center- push it to the back
or push it to the back on a shelf - even place something in front of it.

If it starts acting up when hidden, then put it back front and center.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

I willtry thoes tonight, Thank you!  

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Good luck - One thing I forgot to mention - I found if the STB does not work well straight-on, it works best just before it does not work at all. So take your time trying to find the right location. a small change can make a big difference.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

I tried moving it allllllll over, some spots it would work perfect when browsing through the guide, then once I would find a show and watch it for a little bit, and go to change the channel, it acted up all over again.

this is absolutly nuts. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Yeah, it is nuts. You did not say if this is stili; the DVR or you are trying an STB.

I have seen it change like you describe, but not so frequently.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

13 years ago

The problem you (the OP) are running into is called IR interference.  Something is producing Infrared light that is getting to the IR sensor on the STB that is making it hard to pick out the commands from the remote control.  This interference may be caused by Fluorescent light (including CFL), or maybe even your TV.

A frequent resolution is to change TV settings on LCD TV sets.  Turning off Dynamic Brightness is common.  Shortly after installation, the DVR would misread the remote unless I was within 4 or 5 feet of the STB.  The DVR would also reboot sometimes while I was trying to control it.  I raised the brightness setting on my TV from 1 to 2 and both of these problems went away.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Sorry, it is the DVR. its the main box, in the living room.

It did happen shortly after I got my new T.V. 

when you say brightness, do you mean the actual brightness of the TV, or?   (sorry, I dont know this stuff.) 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.