cpbourgeois's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, March 3rd, 2012 6:53 PM

Uverse remote and APEX parental lock (red key)

Uverse remote and parental lock (red key)

03-03-201212:44:55 PM

I am hoping for a solution!  I have spent days on the phone with customer support and they cannot seem to help me.  They have even swapped out the receiver and the problem remains......  I have a tv with a blue screen and a red key in the lower left hand corner.  The only thing the remote will do is turn the set on and off.  Even the controls on the tv itself will not work.  After look around, it appears that the parental lock got turned on (perhaps by a 10 year old)  and I cannot find the answer to turn it off.  It seems that there is something on the remote that I can manipulate to correct this, but I don't know what that would be.  Any help is appreciated

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hey...same exact problem, and I just fixed mine. Here is what to do. On your UVerse remote, press the TV selector to put your remote in TV mode. The On Demand button will act as the function key on this remote. So, press and hold the On Demand button while pressing Mute.

Fingers crossed that this works for you. If not. Place your Apex TV in the trash can and buy a new one! 😉

Please post if this works for you!

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

There is no parental lock on the U-verse box itself.  You can only use parental control on programming.

From what you are describing, it sounds like the parental lock is on your TV.  Which TV do you have?  Also, see the article in the link below:

http://www.ecoustics.com/tl/17973/

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

It is an apex.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

From the link above:

Apex TVs use a four digit code to control the v-chip. The override code for many models is 6688. Other sets may not have one, or may have a default code of 1225 instead of an override code.

1. To use the override code:
  2. Hit the MENU key to get to the menus.
  3. Go down to the SYSTEM menu and hit the right arrow on the remote control.
  4. Once in the SYSTEM menu, go to PARENTAL GUIDE. It will ask for your code.
  5. Enter the override code listed above. From here, you can turn on and off different rating restrictions, as well as set a new code.

No matter what the V-chip code is set to, the override code will still work. If you have a blank screen with a red key on the bottom left, simply press the (function or F) button and the mute button at the same time. This will unlock the screen and allow you to view the channel as desired

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I have seen the information on the link you provided, but the problem is I only have the Uverse remote!  Don't know how to do it with this remote.  Plus, the menu button on the TV itself won't manipulate anything either.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@cpbourgeois wrote:

I have seen the information on the link you provided, but the problem is I only have the Uverse remote!  Don't know how to do it with this remote.  Plus, the menu button on the TV itself won't manipulate anything either.

You can't use the U-verse remote.  You must use the remote that came with the TV.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Nice...................I only have a universal remote!  It doesn't want to do anything either.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

You might try finding a replacement on eBay.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

cpbourgeois - when you tried the att remote did you press the TV button first? If you press the TV button it should send "TV" numbers.

One manual says the default key is 0000. Try that.

What is your TV model number? Probably supported by Logitech Harmony. You can get one at Radio Shack for $20.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I have hit TV on both the uverse and universal and nothing changing...............even entered all of the codes, but I can't see where that will do anything since I cannot even get to a menu screen.....................Uh!!!  I do appreciate all of the input though.......... keep sending ideas if some come to mind....................Perhaps I could run over the tv with my car?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.