Greg86's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, November 1st, 2014 9:12 PM

Switching TV's to ethernet

I have a NVG589 R/T, a VIP2250 DVR, and 5 VIP1200 STB's connected through COAX. I have been set up with COAX for 8 years with intermittent problems. Recentlly performance has degraded. I suspect connflicts on the COAX network and want to install CAT 6 to upgrade the system. I plan on using an unmanaged switch for the TV's and another for internet traffic. There are some enhanced switches that allow segregation of ports, but for simplicity I plan on using separate switches. I have three specific questions and would welcome any other advice.

1. I have read several recommendations of a Netgear 108 type unmanaged switch for the TV's. Is this the best option or are their better unmanaged switches that will work? Perhaps one that runs a little cooler?

2. Can I simply unplug my boxes from COAX and plug them into the switch connected to a port on my NVG589 and have the R/T recognize them?

3. Several posts I have read recommend connecting the DVR directly to the R/T. Should I use one port for the DVR and another for the switch with the other STB's or should the DVR and STB's all be on one switch connected to R/T?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

1. Typically, that switch is what is the standard for U-verse. Most other switches handle the TV traffic poorly.

2. Yes, as long as there is a good connection between them and the gateway through Ethernet.

3. By R/T I assume you are talking about your gateway? Well, it's typically best to have the DVR on a direct link, but I suppose that if it's too much work to run more wires, it won't be too big of a deal unless you're having problems.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks Darknessrise. The DVR and Gateway are in different rooms so it would be easiest to connect two ports on my patch panel to give the DVR its own port. If I need to I could probably run a direct line. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Greg86 Make sure it's a Netgear GS108 gigabit switch, that has QoS 802.1p capability, required for Uverse TV. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks my thoughts and mibrnsurg. Two good pieces of information.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

U-verse uses 802.1p on the in-home Ethernet?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

U-verse uses 802.1p on the in-home Ethernet?

Sure does, on any connection between the RG and DVR/STBs, so must have 802.1p in any switches used for Uverse TV. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.