jammer99's profile

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

Sunday, October 24th, 2010 6:06 PM

Self-Install - Backfeed to existing phone circuit?

I'm thinking about moving from AT&T DSL to Uverse Internet & Voice using the self-install option which evidently gets you a 2Wire 3600HGV RG.  An AT&T instruction seems to indicate that you cannot connect all the phone jacks in your house unless you have Uverse TV also.  That doesn't make sense to me and I'm thinking they dummied down the instructions because some people may not be comfortable messing with their internal phone wiring.  I would think if you disconnected the existing phone circuit at the NID and ran a direct cable from the NID to the RG/modem, and then plugged the phone output on the RG into a phone jack, all the phone jacks in the house should be connected.  Can anyone confirm this works?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Currently, we have AT&T High Speed DSL (ADSL) and AT&T POTS (analog) telephone in our house.  I recently placed an order for UVerse Internet Max (VDSL).  I expect no issues with the self-installation of the Residential Gateway (RG).  My concern rests with later switching our telephone service from AT&T POTS to UVerse Voice (digital/VOIP).  Before doing so, I’d like to completely understand what needs to be done in order to backfeed the VOIP telephone signal to the other telephone wall jacks in our house.  I have no telephone wiring experience, but I think reading the excellent prior posts on this thread and some other internet sites has brought me up to speed.  Please let me know if my thinking (see below) is correct or not.

Our telephone service comes into a Keptel 4600 SNI network interface box (NIB) located on the outside of the house.  All telephone line wiring is standard 4 connector i.e.., 2 untwisted pairs.  The wires from the NIB are blue/blue white and orange/orange white but I’ll refer to all wiring in terms of green/red and yellow/black pairs.  The green/red pair from the NIB is connected to a wiring block in the basement.  Connected to the wiring block are the green/red pairs from each of 4 telephone lines that go out to various locations in our house.  We have a total of 5 telephone wall jacks, one of which is located near the RG (the RG wall jack).  Our existing telephone circuit appears to be a modified star topology with 4 parallel lines coming out of the wiring block plus 1 or more (likely only 1) lines “in series” branching off of parallel lines at points behind the walls.  I have yet to check everything, but let’s assume the green/red and yellow/black pairs are properly connected to the screw terminals on each of the 5 wall plates and there are no problems with any of the wires (green/red/yellow/black) in the lines.

Here’s what I think I need to do.  First, at the NIB I disconnect the green/red pair and connect the yellow/black pair.  Then, I determine the parallel line that runs to the RG wall jack.  I do this by a process of elimination, each time disconnecting all but one of the outgoing green/red pairs from the wiring block and testing for a telephone signal at the RG wall jack.  Once I know which line it is, I connect the outgoing yellow/black pair for that line, leaving the green/red pair connected.  Next I plug a two-line splitter into the RG wall jack.  (On the two-line splitter, Line 2 is for the yellow/black pair while Line 1 is for the green/red pair.)  After that I run a telephone line from the two-line splitter Line 2 into Connection #5 (Phone Line – VDSL connector) on the RG.  Next I run a telephone line from Connection #6 (Phone Lines 1 & 2 port) on the RG into one of the jacks on a single-line splitter (also referred to as a same-line splitter or a duplex adapter).  Finally, I run a telephone line from the other jack on the single-line splitter into Line 1 of the two-line splitter which as stated earlier is plugged into the RG wall jack.

If no lines split off “in series” from the parallel line that runs to the RG wall jack, the VOIP telephone service should backfeed just fine without the need for any splitters or DSL filters.  (The DSL filters will already have been removed.)  The interference issue, combined VDSL and VOIP signals, associated with any lines branching off from the parallel line that runs to the RG can be solved by plugging a two-line splitter into that wall jack and running the telephone line to the phone from Line 1 of the splitter.

Again, please let me know if there are any errors in my understanding.  Thanks.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

wrwtaxes - Here is a basic description of what it seems you have correctly stated. Maybe it is oversimplified or maybe it can put things in perspective.

I think the bunching block makes things easier. Since you already have DSL, doesn't it split the incoming line with a filter - one to the dsl modem and one to the bunching block to feed the phones.

With U-verse DSL/ POTS this would stay the same. Just a different modem.

To transition from POTS to U-voice - the dial tone source moves from the incoming line to the output of the modem. So, you remove the filter & directly connect the incoming line to the modem wire(R/G). Then use (Y/B) pair to bring the dial tone back to the bunching block. Probably connect to the (R/G) pair because that is what the phones are connected to.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

12 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
wrwtaxes - Here is a basic description of what it seems you have correctly stated. Maybe it is oversimplified or maybe it can put things in perspective.

I think the bunching block makes things easier. Since you already have DSL, doesn't it split the incoming line with a filter - one to the dsl modem and one to the bunching block to feed the phones.

With U-verse DSL/ POTS this would stay the same. Just a different modem.

To transition from POTS to U-voice - the dial tone source moves from the incoming line to the output of the modem. So, you remove the filter & directly connect the incoming line to the modem wire(R/G). Then use (Y/B) pair to bring the dial tone back to the bunching block. Probably connect to the (R/G) pair because that is what the phones are connected to.

Since you've got basically a star topology from near the NID to all your phones, then yes, you can run the VDSL signal into the RG on R/G, feed the dialtone back on Y/Bk then connect R/G of your PHONE runs to the Y/Bk backfeed.  Just be sure that the R/G coming into the house never touches these connections at all.

Most houses have one single cable starting at the NID and running throughout the house from jack to jack.  Since many rooms have phones and you don't want to have to change all those jacks, usually what is done is that you feed the VDSL signal through the house on an outer pair (i.e. not R/G) then backfeed the dialtone to all the "extensions" on the "R/G" or center pair.  That means you have a split jack at the RG's connection point, feeding the RG from the outside pair, and sending the dialtone back on the center pair.  Again making sure that this center pair is only hot from the RG, and NOT from the NID end.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.