For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Maddog8759's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, October 7th, 2012 9:26 PM

Samsung HW-E450 remote codes.

Hello all.

I have the above mentioned sound bar. I have been unable to get my uverse remote to work with the sound bar. I have tried all the codes listed on the manual to no such luck.

Does anybody know of a specific code that works? I would hate to spend more money on a different remote.

Thanks

Todd

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Well, you have a lot there -

You need the light on the cable because that  is what carries the sound. It is either the light itself or the sound riding (modulating) the light that causes the the soundbar to go on & off (in auto mode).

Perhaps it is the light & the TV does shut it off when it is off, but the STB does not.

The 955 programming has the volume control follow the mode button. In att mode it varies the STB. You can hear the difference in the TV or soundbar output. But the "valve" is in the STB. 25 is the max setting on the STB. What you see on the screen is the STB setting. Does it drop to 20 when you turn it off then on?

I usually recommend setting the STB to 15. Then set the TV and soundbar to comfortable levels (seperately). Then you can watch in att mode & vary whichever sound is on.

To actually control the TV sound with the u-verse remote, press the TV button.

You should check out the anynet CEC feature of your TV - page 263 in the manual - It is designed to make the TV & soundbar work together. It should be easier to "watch" than the current suggestion (varying STB sound)

It does use the optical cable to feed sound to the soundbar.

It uses the HDMI cable from the TV to turn the soundbar on/off.

It says you must use the TV remote, but IR is IR & "the TV remote" should include the u-verse remote set up the same as before you got the soundbar.

You might try setting it up with the TV remote, then see if you can control it with the u-verse remote.

Before getting another optical cable, make sure it is no kinked & is set well. I moved my soundbar to let my son try it & when I put it back it did not work. Fiddling with the connection did get it working. I agree the connection is kind hard to work with.

Please post if you have any other questions or comments.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Ok, my problem now is that the TV and U-verse now both control the STB. Now, I need to find the code to return the u-verse remote back to how it was before I placed the 955 code in it.

When I use the STB remote, the sound max volume on the STB is 49, although the U-verse remote does not control the actual volume increase on the STB (if that makes sense).  I'm not sure now what the u-verse remote controls because when using the volume keys it shows on the TV, but only goes up to a level of 25. It does not show the volume increasing on the STB, but only on the TV screen.

I went back and set the TV to external speaker, removed the 955 code and returned the U-verse remote back to what it was before the code change. This of course prevents me from changing the volume on the SB with the u-verse remote.

What I have found is that changing the TV sound settings to external speaker does not allow any control to the TV volume. Even if you make changes to it before setting it to external speaker, it all goes out the window.

All volume control for the SB is done by the SB remote. The mute button inside the circle for the volume and SW controls can only be used for the SB. The "TV mute" will not work due to the settings on the TV (sound through external speaker).

I can turn on the SB, cablebox and TV with u-verse remote. However, only the TV and cable box can be turned off. The SB turns off by itself. When being turned on, the SB always resets back to a volume level of 20. I have to use the SB remote to increase the volume.

The previous method of having the u-verse remote control the volume didn't work very well because you still need the SB remote to increase the volume (if it's not loud enough for you) and then control that with the u-verse remote which will only increase to a 25 volume level.  

It seems as though the sound was coming from the SB, but not very loudly for some reason. It almost sound muffled or had too much bass. Since changing the u-verse remote back to how it was and using the SB remote, the sound is much clearer and of course louder since the SB max volume level is 49.

I am still open to suggestions.  🙂

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Not sure where to start to cover all the bases -

The STB sound appears in a flag upper right on the TV screen. Max 25

Where do you see 49?

If the STB is set at 25 & you use the sound bar remote to crank thatas high as it will go it is not loud enough?

Of course, you cannot conrtol TV sound after you send the sound to external speakers. You have turned off  the TV speakers. This is the setting to allow the sound to come from the sound bar.

You have two choices with the 955 programming  -

1) att/ok -955 - ENTER - the control follows the mode button-

att mode = STB control

TV mode = TV control (if supported)

AUX mode - soundbar controll (if supported)

2) If you insert TV between 955 & ENTER the u-verse remote volume control will ALWAY vary the TV (if supported)

If you insert AUX between 955 & ENTER the u-verse remote volume control will ALWAY vary the soundbar (if supported)

Since your soundbar is not supported (i.e. no code) those choices will not work.

You have waited 20 mins to see if the soundbar turns off?

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Hello,

I understand. To answer some of your questions. . .

The STB sound appears in a flag upper right on the TV screen. Max 25. >>>>Yes, that is correct. I'm assuming that is the volume control for the STB. 

Where do you see 49?>>>The max volume level on the STB is 49. When I use the STB remote and increase the sound level, it maxes out at level 49. You can see it on the LED where you see all the rest of your settings, etc. right on the face of the STB. TheTV of course maxes out at a level of 100 (when it is not attached to the STB)

If the STB is set at 25 & you use the sound bar remote to crank thatas high as it will go it is not loud enough? >>>>Well, what I was doing before was using the STB remote to crank it up to about 38-45 and then use the U-verse remote to control the sound for the TV and STB. I know it's confusing, but it was the only way to control the sound.

Using the U-verse remote to control the volume, it would only go up to 25, but it sounded muffled or that it had too much bass. It was not very clear sounding when using the U-verse remote for some reason. That is what I don't understand. 

I turn off the TV and U-verse with the u-verse remote. Yes, the STB goes off after 20 minutes. However, once turning it back on with the U-verse remote, the STB re-sets to a volume level of 20, no matter which remote I use. The only way to decrease or increase the sound volume on the STB is by using the STB remote.  At a volume level of 20, it is loud enough especially since I am not using the u-verse remote to control the sound. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't understand the descrepancies between the two.  

Of course, you cannot conrtol TV sound after you send the sound to external speakers. You have turned off  the TV speakers. This is the setting to allow the sound to come from the sound bar.>>>Ok, got it. Thanks. 🙂

You have two choices with the 955 programming  -

1) att/ok -955 - ENTER - the control follows the mode button-

att mode = STB control: Did this and this is where I found the limitation with the STB and u-verse remote.  

TV mode = TV control (if supported): TV mode did not work as far as the volume controls once I did the 955 on the ATT part of the U-verse remote.

AUX mode - soundbar controll (if supported): tried this with codes and doing it automatically, never could find anything that would work

2) If you insert TV between 955 & ENTER the u-verse remote volume control will ALWAY vary the TV (if supported): I got the same result as I did when completing this on the ATT button on the u-verse remote.  The volume control would show up in the upper right corner of the TV. 

Since your soundbar is not supported (i.e. no code) those choices will not work. I see. I am letting that sink in now. 🙂

You have waited 20 mins to see if the soundbar turns off?  Yes. It does go off automatically after the TV and cable box are turned off.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

You can start over with two programming steps & apply what you have learned.

The only thing the remote can do is control the u-verse STB or the TV.

The control of the volume is the STB in series with either the TV or the soundbar. Whichever you have the sound turned on. A series connection of the two devices/valves means either can turn the volume up/down with the limit of the whole system. I think you have to experience it to appreciate it.

To set the remote back to factory default (STB only) - att/ok - 900

Program the remote for your TV. The volume button will then ALWAYS control the TV.  Leave the STB on 25. YOU should be able to see the different display on the TV between STB control and TV control.

It sounds like the soundbar will turn on when it sees light from the optical connection and turn off 20 mins after there is no light. You could then control the STB sound level to vary the output of the soundbar except you have volume & quality issues & the soundbar always comes on at 20. I would ask Samsung about that.

Do you have anything to substitute for the u-verse STB to see how that works with the optical connection? Maybe the TV.

The auto on off, coupled with the STB vol control is a step up from just controlling the STB vol.

If the soundbar is returnable, A Klipsch at $200(newegg.com) is programmable to respond to your TV codes or any other code that works with the u-verse remote. Maybe look for another system with this feature.

If you do not need high power, get a ZVOX that is also programmable. That is what I have & it is great.

If you want to go for a better remote I will make recommends.

If it were me, I would be checking out the HDMI control I mentioned earlier. That is the latest tech & needs compatiblity between devices, which you have for TV & soundbar. Not U-verse STB.

If I get a chance I will look at your manuals again.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Good news - bad news

The 355 soundar has bluetooth to get the sound & turn on/ off auto

But

The TV does NOT appear to have bluetooth to send the sound to the soundbar.

You could look into a bluetooth transmitter to connect to the sound output of the TV. Control would still be an issue. Use the "valve" in the TV or the STB.

Many options - Perhaps the simplest is a better remote. Definitely best choice if you are adding a disc player.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Just as an additional FYI.  Your Samsung soundbar, like mine (an HW-H450) will always turn on with the default setting of '20' for a volume level.  It will not remember higher adjusted settings.  It will remember a lower adjusted setting like '10' but that is kind of useless in my opinion.

Additionally, according to a Uverse tech support agent I spoke with, rumor is AT&T will be coming out with a new remote in the 1st quarter of 2015 that will have codes to control Samsung soundbars.  No word as to the whether that is true or not.  Also no idea as to whether those codes will work with the existing AT&T Uverse remotes.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

I do not see how an existing U-verse remote could apply new codes. It is amazing that the complex IR signal description can be distilled down to such a simple user programming interface.

But, it does require an update to add new software for new codes. The U-verse remotes have no mechanizm for doing that. It is cheaper to make a new remote for that one purpose (u-verse).

Contrast that with Logitech Harmony  -  more expensive remote that is programmed via a computer. The computer update program is itself updateable for the continually expanding library of codes. Just about any thing is possible. Even learning specific button/IR matches.

The original Harmony remotes started at over $100 & go into $300s. A while back they came out  with models 200 & 300 at $20 & $30. I figured they could do this because they had already paid off the initial code library. But, they discontinued them.

Currently, the least expensive Harmony is Model 350 @ $50. 

Each person has to decide when they need to upgrade the remote to match their equipment. Seems to me a soundbar qualifies for a remote more robust than the U-verse remote.

The logitech Harmony Smart Control is a perfect match for my install of three STBs. Three TVs and a Zevox soundbar. I was lucky to hit a sale for $100.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Tchstone,

Ok, thanks for that info on the STB. I understand now. I was just living with it anyway. The setting didn't take anything away from the STB, but you info was good to know.

As of now, I am using two remotes. Don't like it because sometimes I forget which one I have to deal with for thisor that. So, I will be taking the plunge and checking into the Harmony remotes.

So, Ace Master, I assume the Harmony will everything the U-verse remote does. I will not have to pick up the u-verse remote to control the cable box at all? Will any of the Harmony remotes work or will I have to invest in the latest most expensive one? That is one of the reasons I have avoided those remotes because they were too expensive. I'm wondering if I will have to upgrade later if I purchase one of the less expensive models.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Non-support of a device is not a reason a Harmony remote will not work for you. All Harmony remotes have the same library and all are learning remotes to apply new IR should there be a problem with the library.

I see newegg.com has a refurb model 350 for $25 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880111086&cm_re=harmony-_-80-111-086-_-Product

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.