Cat4Tunes's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Friday, April 19th, 2019 5:12 AM

S20 remote and Samsung tv

My AT&T remote always worked fine with my Samsung TV. It started to not turn on the TV. I figured it needed new batteries and replaced them. Still had problem. I have reset gateway, router, reprogrammed AT&T remote and every troubleshooting thing it said to do. When I turn on the remote, it takes about 1/2 an hour and then the TV magically turns on. It turns TV off OK. But if I leave the TV off for awhile, I have the same problem again when trying to turn it on. Should I just replace the S20 remote?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

I tried turning on TV using TV remote as well as just pushing power button on TV. No response.  About 1/2 hr later, the TV comes magically on

That's why I asked you to try that.  Using the att remote to turn on/off the receiver and tv wouldn't definitively show that there might be a problem with the att remote.  But using the tv's own remote to turn on/off and reproducing the problem with the tv's on/off indicates your tv is the problem. I don't know what but it's not a att remote problem.

The STB has power button light and other lights on. It even recorded a show. Once the TV comes on, there is a red dot indicating remote control sensor. Once all on, I can use TV remote only to turn off TV and back on.

The power on indication on the dvr and receiver is the greenish glow around the oval power button on the left.  The red indicator light toward the middle (next to the HD light which may or may not be on and green link light which is always on) only lights when you are currently recording a program (whether the power button is lit or not).  It's not a power light.

I then used S20 to turn off STB. A message came onTV to click OK to watch TV. I clicked OK on S20 and STB came back on as well as TV. All lights on STB and TV red dot is back on. 

That sounds like a common separate (non-)problem.  You need to keep the remote pointing at the receiver and the tv long enough so that the remote can send its IR (infra-red) signals to the receiver and then a fraction of a second later the tv's IR signal for the tv.  Move the remote away too fast after pushing the on/off button and the tv won't see its IR signal and remain on thus showing the click OK message.  While it's a fraction of a second between the time the signals are sent to the receiver and then the tv it's actually very easy to miss the tv.  Many people walk into this one. Me too occasionally if I'm in a hurry.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Do you see the same behavior when you use the tv's own remote to turn on the tv?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

I’m not sure what to try. The TV is connected to the set top box/DVR in great room. My Samsung TV is over 10 years old. It is an LCD TV not smart, 32in model LN32A550P3FXZA. ATT replaced the STB/DVR and my gateway in 2014. They gave me the S20 remote then. I have gateway PACE 5268AC in spare bedroom connected to desktop PC. It also has wireless. I have a laptop from work in the great room that I use with wireless access. 

My STB/DVR is hard-wired in outlet in great room. It is a Magnavox VIP2250.  I have Uverse TV and don’t stream. I don’t know if I should disconnect the TV completely. 

As I stated, when I turn on the S20 remote, it turns on STB but not TV right away. I also put new batteries in my TV  remote. I tried turning on TV using TV remote as well as just pushing power button on TV. No response. About 1/2 hr later, the TV comes magically on. The STB has power button light and other lights on. It even recorded a show. Once the TV comes on, there is a red dot indicating remote control sensor. Once all on, I can use TV remote only to turn off TV and back on. 

I then used S20 to turn off STB. A message came onTV to click OK to watch TV. I clicked OK on S20 and STB came back on as well as TV. All lights on STB and TV red dot is back on. 

I had to leave the house, so I used only TV remote to turn off TV and left STB on. I was gone for 1/2 the day. When I got home, the STB had gone off. The power button was not lit and my TV red dot was off. I turned on STB with S20 and STB is all lit again. I am back to square one waiting to see when TV will magically come on and show the red sensor dot. I guess I will have to call ATT for service. I think if TV comes back on, I will leave everything on and just mute the TV when I go to bed. Since it is a holiday weekend, I’ll have to wait until next week for help. 

Thanks for replying to me. I had already tried to reprogram S20, but something must not be in sync. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

I may have my notes wrong about the red sensor dot on TV - when on and off. Right now, my STB/DVR is on and recording a show. I am watching another show. There is currently no red dot sensor showing on the TV while I am watching TV. I don’t think I’ll mess with it right now. Retry tests tomorrow. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks ACE!  I read a lot of other help too and learned about the delay between receiver and TV. I guess I may start thing about getting a new TV one of these days since it’s over 10 years old.  Have a happy Easter!  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.