gsica1949's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Friday, October 18th, 2013 3:15 AM

S10-S3 Remote, I want the AT&T button power button NOT to work.

Is there a way when the power button is pressed, only the TV powers off, not the DVR box? The problem is the power button is a TOGGLE and it is very easy when you press  the power button that only one device will turn off. Therefore, the TV will be turned on and the DVR turned off, when you o\press the power button, the TV will be off and the box on. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

gsica1949 - STB is Set Top Box - the u-verse "tuner".

I agree that unique on/off functions are needed when more than one device is involved. Many receivers have that and a toggle function. It appears TVs originally were simple stand alone devices & needed only the toggle & most continue today to not have a unique on/off function. If the TV does not support it, neither can the U-verse remote.

Ask and you shall receive - The way you prevent the remote from stepping through the two devices is to reprogram it as follows - att/ok- 977-enter (bottom right).

This will cause the power button to follow the mode button. Such as att-pwr-tv-pwr.

In actual use, since you are watching in att mode, turn off is pwr-tv-pwr.  When picking up the remote that was left in the TV  mode - to turn on pwr-att-pwr.

More control requires more clicks, but there is no question of what the pwr button affects. When one goes on/off,  just click the other mode button before proceeding.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

gsica1949 - As MT says, you can toggle the TV power by changing the mode to TV. But, do not forget his last step - return to att mode,

Another solution to resynch power is the OK button (while staying in the att mode)

If TV is on & the STB is off, press the OK button.

If STB is on & the TV is Off - Press the main power button again, then the OK button.

Once resynched, watch or use the main power to turn off both devices.

Always be sure to turn off the STB when not watching so that it does not use up a stream.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

You just explained why there is a problem. Brighthouse Networks in Orlando FL and U verse remotes use this terrible toggle feature. I had DIRECTV for over ten years and not once did I ever have the the TV and DVR out of power sync. DirecTV remotes have an "OFF" and an "ON" button, so it signals to turn off or on, not toggle. Occasionally, if the remote (RF) was not pointing to the TV the DVR would turn off and the TV be on. If I pressed the off button, the TV would turn off and the DVR stayed "OFF. What a novel idea! There should be a way to prevent the power button from stepping through the AT&T and TV buttons. All TV's may be a toggle power feature but the DirecTV DVR is a power off and on function.

My solution is to have the wife use the TV remote to turn off the TV and not power down the STB. You must keep the wife happy and not expect her to figure what is going on when things go out of sync.

Beside, what does STB stand for?

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I went throught it just a little while ago with the wife but I have not yet reprogrammed it as told above. I worked nearly 40 years in telephoney with most of them troubleshooting. I fortunatley in the last 20 of them did specification testing and training and was able to work with the technical writers. This haggle would have been worked out many years ago. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.