Replacement Remote Control

Tutor

Replacement Remote Control

[ Edited ]

I an an equipment rental customer from AT&T - a DVR and two receivers; plus THREE REMOTES - Silver ones.  The battery compartment door clip on all three remotes have snapped off and now the batteries fall out almost DAILY!  The sales to switch to Uverse was hard sell to compete with Brighthouse and Comcast in our area.  Both vendors would exchange broken remotes immediately - no questions asked.  After sitting on hold with Uverse rep for 30 minutes while she "processed" my new remotes, she comes back and says that I will have to go online and order them for $20 apiece!  No replacements are offered, despite the monthly equipment rental fees on my bill that require a remote to utilize.   I called my local AT&T store and same thing.  Every contact with AT&T whether it is billing, equipment, chat or technical support leaves me so frustrated.  I can't even find an address to write a complaint, or an email - just another array of voice mail prompts that lead to a loss of valuable time and an apology speech from a representative.  PLEASE HELP ME!

Message 1 of 12 (4,769 Views)

Re: Poor Customer Service!!!!!

Maybe the obvious question is how do you keep breaking the battery covers?  It makes sense that if you break it, you pay for it.

Message 2 of 12 (4,748 Views)
Community Manager

Hi Kim,

I'm one of the Community Managers following-up on your post.  Sorry to hear about the ongoing trouble and your recent experience.  I would like to help, please shoot me a Private Message.

Regards,

Alex

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help others find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".
Message 3 of 12 (4,742 Views)
Tutor

Dear Alex:  Thank you for offering me a direct connection for help.  Not sure if this is a private post or not.  Please reply.

Message 4 of 12 (4,727 Views)
Tutor

There is a little plastic clip that holds the battery cover on the back of the remote control.  All three of my remotes have snapped at the clip - the plastic is very thin at this connection.  It is not a misuse issue.  Bright House and Comcast have all stood behind their "rental" products.  It doesn't seem like too much to ask from a corporation the size of AT&T.

Message 5 of 12 (4,726 Views)
Former Moderator

[ Edited ]

To send Alex a PM, please click on their username to go to their profile. On the right, you will see a box labeled Contact. Click on "Send this user a private message." Once that message is replied to, you will see a message notification next to the blue envelope on the upper right corner of your screen Smiley Happy

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 6 of 12 (4,721 Views)
Expert

With ATT, you aren't paying a rental fee for a remote (I know we DID with Comcrap!).

Have you called CS to request a free replacement? 

And from another post, this is what I did to solve my loose battery door on the RF Point Anywhere Remote--I added a small strip of stickied insulation foam.  The other standard remotes don't seem to have this problem (but 2 of those 3 have been replaced once).

The foam piece makes it easier to get the battery door open, in my situation.

KimRenard wrote:

There is a little plastic clip that holds the battery cover on the back of the remote control.  All three of my remotes have snapped at the clip - the plastic is very thin at this connection.  It is not a misuse issue.  Bright House and Comcast have all stood behind their "rental" products.  It doesn't seem like too much to ask from a corporation the size of AT&T.

Message 7 of 12 (4,672 Views)
Mentor

Following up on a couple of questions.

I believe the Kim said the remote was silver. Question for the moderators, managers, masters: What is the difference between the silver and the black remotes; and between the black S10-S1 and S10-S2 ? Are the remotes hard coded to specific STBs?

And for Kim; When I have had trouble, T

"Tier 2" support has been excellent, no matter what my issue was. You may want to request this if you call back.

Message 8 of 12 (4,630 Views)
Expert

No difference, other than color.  There are original, old silver ones out there, and they have a few different colored buttons.

Message 9 of 12 (4,620 Views)
Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author KimRenard
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

techbob wrote:

Following up on a couple of questions.

I believe the Kim said the remote was silver. Question for the moderators, managers, masters: What is the difference between the silver and the black remotes; and between the black S10-S1 and S10-S2 ? Are the remotes hard coded to specific STBs?

And for Kim; When I have had trouble, T

"Tier 2" support has been excellent, no matter what my issue was. You may want to request this if you call back.

Just curious where you found the model # S10-S2 for a black standard remote since it doesn't appear to be listed anywhere?

The black standard remote is listed as the S10-10 while the older model silver standard remote is a RC153. Believe they are the same but programmed differently. You can see this on your TV for remote programming instructions: Menu > Help > System Set-up > Program your U-verse Remote. The 3 listed are the silver standard remote, the black standard remote and the black Point Anywhere RF Remote (A20-RF1).

While the Silver Standard Remote was often the replacement remote I don't believe it is even offered anymore if you look at the below list of available U-verse remotes.

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessories/tv-remotes.jsp?source=ICEQEQ51600UVR02

Users should not be paying for replacement standard remotes since you can get them for free by calling CS/TS.

Remotes are not "hard coded to specific STB's". As it states in the link under the standard remote, "The Standard Remote Control is compatible with all AT&T U-verse TV Receivers.". This also includes the DVR.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 10 of 12 (4,607 Views)
Mentor

These are what we got when we signed up mid August this year. That is why I wondered what had changed to cause them to go from S10S1 to S10S2 on the black remotes? Maybe the ATT moderators could help us?

Message 11 of 12 (4,352 Views)
Highlighted
Master

KimRenard wrote:

I an an equipment rental customer from AT&T - a DVR and two receivers; plus THREE REMOTES - Silver ones.  The battery compartment door clip on all three remotes have snapped off and now the batteries fall out almost DAILY!  The sales to switch to Uverse was hard sell to compete with Brighthouse and Comcast in our area.  Both vendors would exchange broken remotes immediately - no questions asked.  After sitting on hold with Uverse rep for 30 minutes while she "processed" my new remotes, she comes back and says that I will have to go online and order them for $20 apiece!  No replacements are offered, despite the monthly equipment rental fees on my bill that require a remote to utilize.   I called my local AT&T store and same thing.  Every contact with AT&T whether it is billing, equipment, chat or technical support leaves me so frustrated.  I can't even find an address to write a complaint, or an email - just another array of voice mail prompts that lead to a loss of valuable time and an apology speech from a representative.  PLEASE HELP ME!

All the reps are different and keeping calling technical support (available 24/7) until you get a nice rep who will send you the replacement remotes for free.

Another thing you may want to do is the next time you see a U-verse truck parked in your area stop and ask the rep for some free replacement remotes. The last time a tech was at my house for another problem I pointed out one of the remotes no longer worked the volume very quickly. He said that is always the 1st thing to go out and gave me a couple new ones for free. So now I have a spare and the tech said he "hands them out like candy" while always carrying a box of 20 on his truck.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 12 of 12 (4,350 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.