Uniblurb3's profile

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 6:22 PM

Remote problems with 2250 DVR

Ever since I did a self-install of my 2250 DVR a month ago, which replaced a 1225, I've been having problems with 2 of the silver standard remotes (RC153). Often the remotes won't let me press all 4 number buttons for going to a HD channel and will only enter 3 which sends me to a channel I don't want. I've tried doing this faster and slower with no improvement. Also sometimes it will send it directly to a channel when just pressing the 1st digit of a number. I had no problems in using these older silver remotes with the 1225 DVR or a 1200 STB.

I also have a new black standard remote (S10-S3) and only once was I able to get all 4 mode lights to flash twice when pressing the "TV" and "Enter" buttons together for 1 second. Then in pressing the Scan>FF button to search for a code my Sony KDS60A3000 TV shut off but this was not the correct code since other functions wouldn't work. It should be noted the black remote will work the guide/channel changes very fast but won't turn the TV/DVR off together since there isn't a TV code entered/saved.

Another problem with this black remote is I can't get the 4 mode keys to flash at all when pressing "TV" and "OK" together for entering in a code manually. I'd rather not go this route anyhow since hate to have the lamp kicking on/off as I enter 20 different codes for Sony TV's. Sure wish I would have written down the code for my Sony TV somewhere, just in case the mode buttons flashed,  but I didn't. Maybe this is because I programmed it automatically, never did know the code, and can't remember how I did it 4+ years ago.

I've read about a bunch of problems with the 2250 DVR but mine has worked flawlessly (knock on wood) except for these remote problems which are driving me nuts. My Sony DLP doesn't seem to cause any interference problems with the remote. I can see the RG through the TV stand but don't think it, along with the WAP, would cause these remote problems.

I was hoping my 2250 DVR was new since it was shipped but maybe it was having remote problems before and it's rebuilt? Can't tell and hate to have it replaced for another one since it's working so well.

Appreciate any help/input on solving these remote problems. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Uniblurb3 - Perhaps the 2250 IR rcvr is too sensitive. Try the tape trick or hide the 2250 & bounce the IR signal off the ceiling, walls or floor.

For the black remote - make sure no buttons are stuck. Then replace the batteries. Then call for a replacement. Whatever is causing the first problem is, most likely, the cause of the second problem.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

I think you "hit it on the head" aviewer about the IR eye on the 2250 being too sensitive. I folded/hung a paper towel over the front of the receiver and it slowed/filtered the silver remotes IR signal down enough where I was able to enter channel numbers in at my own pace w/o it changing channels prematurely.

The black S10-S3 remote is brand new and nice of U-verse to now include new Duracell batteries. Don't know why but most often when pressing the "TV" + "Enter" keys or "TV" + "OK" keys the 4 mode keys flash wouldn't flash even when shooting through the paper towel. But I must have caught it at just the right time and auto programmed the TV code in where all the functions now work. Glad it found the code quickly because you don't want to be turning a super hot DLP lamp on/off quick unless you want to blow it or shorten the life span.

So right now I have a piece of scotch tape folded 3 time with another small piece of tape holding it onto the front of the 2250 just left of the green link light. Odd that I could see the actual IR eye on my older 1225, and on my 1200 STB's, when holding a bright flashlight closely on the face but not this one. The front plastic is too dark but maybe not dark/black enough?

Regardless, all of my remotes are now working fine and thanks for your help aviewer. I'll need to recheck the remotes during the daylight and may clean the tape job up just a little.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Uniblurb3 - Awesome - Glad you got it working & thanks for the follow-up. Those pesky remotes are frustrating.

One caution - The sensitivity could suddenly change. If it does, just remove or adjust the tape.

I just tried the Biddy TV (remote) app yesterday & really liked it. It is a free app for IOS (Apple) or Android with a replica of a silver remote that controls the STB via wi-fi. I like it better than the at&t apps because it is easier to use & has a power button.

If you have a smart phone/device give it a try. Of course, it does not control the TV or other devices. The advantage is that the STB responds first time, every time.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.