Linda661's profile

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

Sunday, January 4th, 2015 4:31 PM

Remote control won't control the tv volume

The old remote used to control the tv volume and then it stopped.  I've tried everything.  The remote setup according to the DVR and the 955 thing.  I even bought a new remote control.  It's upsetting because the DVR volume is inadequate.  That's upsetting too.  It's always been too low.  The volume issue needs to be higher up on the priority list.

Does anyone one have any other tricks for getting the remote control to control the tv volume?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Linda661 wrote:

I bought a new remote and put in fresh batteries.  The 955 thing is:

Press and hold the AT&T button on the remote.
Press the OK button and release it and the AT&T button at the same time. All the universal lights will flash twice.
Type 955. The AT&T button will flash twice.
Press the TV button. The TV button will flash twice.
Press the AT&T button

Have you done this first to raise the DVR volume up to 25?

To control the speaker volume of the motorola box itself:
1) Press and hold the AT&T button on the remote
2) Press the "OK" button and release it and the AT&T key at the same time.  All the universal lights will flash twice.
3) Type 955.  The AT&T key will flash twice
4) Press "Enter"

Now you can turn your motorola box all the way up. Once you get it set how you want, we need to set the remote back to control the TV volume instead of the motorola box.  To do that:

Use the instructions in your post I quoted.

But this caveat applies:

All of this is assuming that the TV button on your remote is already programmed to control your TV.  
If it is not, you will need to find the code for your TV and program the TV button first.  
😉

Edit:  Go to this support page, choose your remote and click the link user guide and programming instructions for xxx (remote #).  All the codes for TV will be listed, may have to manually enter your code:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Linda661 wrote:

The old remote used to control the tv volume and then it stopped.  I've tried everything.  The remote setup according to the DVR and the 955 thing.  I even bought a new remote control.  It's upsetting because the DVR volume is inadequate.  That's upsetting too.  It's always been too low.  The volume issue needs to be higher up on the priority list.

Does anyone one have any other tricks for getting the remote control to control the tv volume?

No, it's not inadequate, w/DVR set at 25, my TV can blast it out.  I normally use only 16-22 on the TV for the volume I need and my TV settings go all the way up to 100, so the DVR is providing plenty of volume.

Sounds like you lost the code for your TV, go here to program the remote for volume control:

menu>help>remote control setup    Follow the instructions and should have no problem controlling volume on the Uverse remote control. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for your advice.  Forget my comment about the DVR volume.  Maybe it's fine for most people.

I've tried using the remote setup instructions, both automatic code and manual code.  Nothing.

Then I found instruction on this community board to use code 955.  That didn't work either.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

There are many possibilities. It is always good to be able to test with another of the same device known to work. If you have another STB swap remotes.

How about fresh batteries?

Is something blocking the TV sensor?

The vol buttons do wear out, but they would not work on the STB.

As chris says, the TV code code have been lost,

What do you menaby the 955 thing? Sounds like you did the option to follow the mode button. In att mode you control the STB. IN TV mode you control the TV vol. For ALWAYS TV - att/ok-955- Tv-enter.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

9 years ago

I bought a new remote and put in fresh batteries.  The 955 thing is:

Press and hold the AT&T button on the remote.
Press the OK button and release it and the AT&T button at the same time. All the universal lights will flash twice.
Type 955. The AT&T button will flash twice.
Press the TV button. The TV button will flash twice.
Press the AT&T button

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

When I get to the second to last step (pressing the TV button) it only blinks once?? Someone please help!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Oh yea baby I did it! I did the opposite I hit the at&t button first and it worked! It's sad that fixing the volume on my remote gets me excited! Lol

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

All you have to do is press mute and the ENTER button at same time and a new menu will pop up where you can actually select your TV and model. If you don't know model press "you don't know model" and it will tell you that there is so many codes that will work and you have to try all. But it does the codes for you. All you do is press volume up if it doesn't work go to the option it didn't work it will try next code if it doesn't work you select it didn't work, and so on. Once your volume works the you select "It worked". So don't worry about the whole setup remote in the menu. It didn't work for me either lol. Also some TVs are under a different TV. For instance some Vizio TVs are under the insignia codes or Hitachi so try that TV brand when selecting if your actual brand does not work:) GoodLuck!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

All you have to do is press mute and the ENTER button at same time and a new menu will pop up where you can actually select your TV and model. If you don't know model press "you don't know model" and it will tell you that there is so many codes that will work and you have to try all. But it does the codes for you. All you do is press volume up if it doesn't work go to the option it didn't work it will try next code if it doesn't work you select it didn't work, and so on. Once your volume works the you select "It worked". So don't worry about the whole setup remote in the menu. It didn't work for me either lol. Also some TVs are under a different TV. For instance some Vizio TVs are under the insignia codes or Hitachi so try that TV brand when selecting if your actual brand does not work:) GoodLuck!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My remote has no "Enter" button. Tried "Menu" +  "OK" buttons.  That did not work.

I finally got success using the Auto Code Search option [This version ends with Holding FF button until TV turns off.]

Maybe I succeeded simply because I kept trying, but the "Top Ten Brand Setup" was a no go and the

under the "Manual Setup" I only got through the first 1 or 2 options (codes) offered, with no success.

The "Manual Setup" option is tedious if you have to try all (or several) of the codes offered.

BTW, I unsuccessfully tried the Auto Code search earlier: do not recall instruction to hold the FF button. Maybe I

missed it. I see now that FF is mentioned on (badly faded) instruction list on back of remote.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.