aixrocks's profile

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, March 8th, 2013 7:40 PM

RF Remote on Wireless Receiver

I am contemplating replacing one of my STBs with a wireless receiver.  The STB that I am considering replacing uses the RF remote and I wanted to check if the RF remote is supported on the wireless receiver and if anyone has had any issues using the wireless receiver with the RF remote.

Basically the other receiver is in another room (hence the reason I have the RF remote) and if I get the wireless receiver, I want to continue using this remote.  I realize that if it is line of sight, the IR part of the remote should still work, but I also wanted to have the capability to use the RF remote for it from another room.

Tim

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

aixrocks - No reason it should not work. The RF part is only between the remote and the dongle. The dongle generates IR for the STB. The STB does not care where the IR originates - Remote or dongle.

In fact, you have to be careful that the RF STB cannot see IR from another IR TV/remote. And, the other TV cannot see IR generated by the dongle.

I guess the RF remote works well for you. I just found that one of those cell phone booster antenna that goes in the battery compartment helps the reliability.

Also, if you have a smartphone, iphone, ipad or ipod touch you can use a buddy TV app to control the distant STB via Wi-fi.

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks!

I know about the Uverse app and use it occasionally also, but we don't have a dedicated device for the Uverse app and when I've used that (when walking/running on a treadmill), it gets to be cumbersome as the app forgets which receiver it is connected to when the screen saving settings take over (which I suspect to just be a flaw with iOS not being able to truly background a process when it thinks the device is suspending).  So, I end up having to reconnect to the receiver negating it's usefulness in controlling the DVR.  If all I did was watch live TV and didn't care about pause/rewind/ffwd, it would work fine in that scenario.

I figured this configuration would work, but since I don't have a spare Uverse IR only remote, I wanted to ensure that this would work regardless of whether I had line of site access or not to the wireless receiver.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

aixrocks -
I have not had a problem with dropping the connection to the receiver. The only good app is the U-verse for iphone - works on ipad also. Forget u-verse for ipad & both versions of easy remote.

Try the buddy TV, It is my current favorite. But, I do have a problem now - it does not display the whole remote. Buddy TV is one step up on the U-verse for iphone because it has a power button.

I wanted to refer you to another string. I finally found it - http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/uverse-Uverse_TV_Equipment/message-id/57154/print-single-message/false/page/1
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.