Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Networking setup affects DVR

Tutor

Networking setup affects DVR

My Setup

========

House built in 2007, prewired for Ethernet. In a closet in a bedroom there is a wiring box where all of the Ethernet and coax cables converge.  There I have an AT&T Residential Gateway router/modem combo with I think four ports on it.  Ethernet cables coming from various rooms in the house are plugged into this router/modem combo, including the one that feeds a media room upstairs.  I have two set top boxes that connect wirelessly.  The third set top box is a DVR that resides in the aforementioned upstairs media room and plugs directly into the Ethernet jack there.  Everything works: TV, DVR, and DVR playback across all set boxes.

My Problem

=========

In the media room, I have the following internet-hungry devices:  XBOX One, PS4, smart stereo receiver, and a smart TV.  Running on wireless, especially for the gaming consoles is really sub-optimal.  So I got a NetGear GS108 switch. I plugged the switch into the media room Ethernet jack into Port 1.  Then I plugged the Uverse DVR into Port 2, the XBOX One into Port 3, and so-on.  The internet connected devices work at a much higher speed than wireless.  But the problem is that the media room TV scrambles and pixelates within 10 seconds of changing a channel.  I did research and found this is probably related to the switch not pushing the "multicast" signal to the Uverse box. 

According to most of the posts, the GS108 is supposed to be the holy grail in terms of fixing this.  I realized my GS108 was 'old', so I ordered the newest one...the GS108 version 4 from Amazon.  Same issue.  When the DVR is plugged into a switch, the TV pixelates and scrambles after 10 seconds.  When the DVR is plugged directly into the Ethernet jack, no problems.

How can I get my media room devices connected wired without messing up my TV?    

network.png

Message 1 of 32
ACE - Expert

Re: Networking setup affects DVR

Which GS108 did you order?  From what I read in these forums possibly the GS108E smart switch may be the solution.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 32
ACE - Expert

@oneor11, what else do you have on the GS108 that is not pictured?  Do you have an non-AT&T Wireless Access Point or a Wireless Router?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 32
Tutor

Hi JefferMc,

Thank you for the responses.  In answer to your first question, I have two GS108s.  One is the original, version 1 if you will.  The newest is "version 4".  I don't have the E, but will order that if necessary.  There is nothing else plugged into the GS108 switch other than what's shown.  To summarize in text format:

Port 1:  Ethernet line directly to wall jack.

Port 2:  ATT Uverse DVR

Port 3:  XBOX One

Port 4:  PS4

Port 5: LG TV

Port 6: Onkyo stereo receiver

I have no wireless access points (though I am curious about those if they would boost the signal in my media room).  The only wireless router I have is the AT&T gateway, which is in the "kid's bedroom"

Message 4 of 32
Tutor

I have two GS108s.  One is the original, version 1 if you will.  The newest is "version 4".  I don't have the E, but will order that if necessary.

Message 5 of 32
ACE - Expert

Thanks, new questions, though:

1) Do you have an AT&T WAP?  I ask because it's not shown.  AT&T tried out using a gateway as a IPTV WAP but my understanding is that it didn't work well and it's now a deprecated configuration.

2) Can you temporarily disconnect the other devices from the switch and see if the DVR/Media Room TV now works properly?  If so, add the other devices back one at a time and check after adding each one.

The GS108E is supposed to provide IGMP snooping.  If it properly supports IGMPv3 snooping, then it may assist with some issues that can otherwise arise when using a switch that does not.  However, looking at your list of devices, I can't identify one that should be causing you issues with multicasting.  Which is why I suggested trying to connect them one at a time to identify the trouble maker. 

The GS108E also has VLAN, QoS and other managed switch capabilities that you may find useful; it may be able to prioritize traffic to the DVR to resolve some issues if the IGMPv3 feature doesn't solve it alone.

Message 6 of 32
Tutor

Thanks for hanging in there with me.  Ahh yes. I completely forgot about the wireless access point.  In the Kid's Bedroom, next to the gateway/router/modem combo there is a skinny black box that says "VAP..." and a sticker that says "Wireless Access Point".  This device is plugged into Port 1 of the AT&T gateway/router/modem.  I figured this was specifically for the settop boxes.  It creates a wireless network called "MOTOVAM_M9..." that is separate than my home wireless network. I figured this was exclusively for the settop boxes. 

I will test the incremental device add later this afternoon.

Message 7 of 32
ACE - Expert

You are correct that the model number "VAP..." WAP is exclusively for the Wireless Set Top boxes.  It should be at least a meter away from the U-verse Gateway (more is better), or any other wireless transmitting device.  Putting it on its own port is a good move, but it's really equivalent to any other IPTV gear in terms of wired configuration challenges.  It does properly handle multicast (unlike most consumer-grade wireless access points).

And also let me say thanks; it helps so much to see a concise diagram of the configuration.

Message 8 of 32
Employee

On the back of gateway have WAP in 1 port and the cable to DVR media room in another port leaving 2 free unused ports?

If not wanting to install another Ethernet cable from gateway to media room allowing for DVR to stay separate. 

Consider rewiring the existing ethernet cable from T1000 to (2) T100s.

Have 4 pairs in cable,  use green/orange for one jack and the blue/brown as G/O on 2nd jack. Will need to rewire both ends resulting in adding (2) more jacks and (2) more patch cables.  Plus will likely need to change wall plate. 

RG port 1 WAP, port 2 DVR,  port 3 media room switch 

Just my thoughts... 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 32
Tutor

Sorry for my late response.  I got wrapped up in the World Series last night.  Okay I tried the temporary disconnect method and the results were interesting:

1.  Just the Cable Box plugged in.  Worked well.

2.  Cable Box (turned on) + XBOX  (turned on).  Worked well

3.  Cable Box (turned on) + XBOX (turned on) + Receiver (turned on): Worked well

4.  Cable Box (turned on) + XBOX (turned on) + Receiver (turned on) + TV (Turned on) : Worked well

5.  Cable Box (turned on) + XBOX (turned on) + Receiver (turned on) + TV (turned on) + PS4 (turned on): Worked well

6.  Cable Box (RECORDING) + XBOX (doing a detailed network test) + Receiver (turned on) + TV (turned on) + PS4 (turned on): Worked well

7.  Cable Box (RECORDING) + XBOX (TURNED OFF) + Receiver (turned on) + TV(turned on) + PS4 (turned on):  TV PIXELATION /freezing

Okay so #7 seems to be the issue. Not so much the recording probably but the XBOX.  When the xbox is turned on it pulls a gigabit connection (both the 100M and 10M lights turned on). When the XBOX is off the lights intermittently flash at the gigabit level and the 10 megabit level. It is when these intermittent flashes occur that the TV wigs out and stays wigged out until the XBOX ethernet is unplugged. 

The XBOX is never 'truly' off I don't think.  It polls servers to see if there are game updates to download or cloud purchases to install. But perhaps this communication every 10 seconds or so at the gigabit and 10 megabit level confuses either the switch or the cable box.

Other than running another ethernet cable, it is possible to isolate the cable box in a wired way, kind of like that WAP isolates the set top boxes on the wireless networks? I also noticed the xbox was only pulling around 12 mbps on the wired network test.  I was expecting 18 - 22. Perhaps the multicast traffic through the switch slows it down?  I don't know. 

Message 10 of 32
ACE - Expert

My next question is whether the XBOX is doing something within the Ethernet specification or not.  I'm guessing not.

I found an interesting post (is your XBOX by any chance the XBOX ONE S model?):

https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/A9C5C10B-5385-48BC-BE09-76616B970F33

Message 11 of 32
Mentor

First, great diagram. That really helps me visualize what's going on.

Can the UVerse STB be isolated without running another ethernet cable? Absolutely! Doing so would almost certainly solve your problem.

But, let's try to solve the problem using a simpler approach first. I'd really like for you to try the GS108E. The problem with the GS108S is that it does not try to figure out the IPTV multicast paths so it floods ports 2-8 with all of the multicast packets it is receiving on port 1. That means your XBOX, PS, and whatever else is connected is getting flooded with the UVerse IPTV packets. The E version of the switch does IGMP snooping which means it will eavesdrop on the traffic and learn which ports have a device that is actually subscribed to a UVerse stream. In your case the switch will figure out that port 2 is the only one that should receive the stream. I can't really explain why having the XBOX turned off would manifest the problem though. That seems strange to me. Even if the GS108E doesn't fix the problem you really should be using it anyway.

If an IGMP snooping switch doesn't fix the problem I can almost guarantee that VLANing your setup will. But, this is harder to get going because of increased hardware costs and the learning curve. VLANing is how you'd separate your UVerse STBs from the rest of your network. The GS108E does support VLAN tagging. But, you'll need 2 of them. Since you bought one (presumably) with the intent of tryin the IGMP snooping fix then you'd only need one more. I won't get into how you'd setup this up right now.

By the way, I don't actually have the GS108E, but it's my understanding that the switch has IGMP snooping enabled by default so it should be plug-n-play. I have the Linksys LGS308 which requires more manual configuration to get IGMP snooping up and running. I can tell you that IGMP snooping does work as advertised with UVerse streams...at least with the switch I have. I will say that the tech that installed UVerse for said they carry the GS10xE models on their trucks.

Message 12 of 32
ACE - Expert

@bdginmo, I really don't think IGMP snooping is going to help here.  I'd like to hear back from the OP about the particular model of the XBOX ONE, but the issue only happens when the XBOX ONE is in standby, and seems to be doing "really weird things," and this sort of behavior from some models of XBOX ONEs has been reported to throw other routers into a tizzy, not just cause issues for the multicast.

Message 13 of 32
Tutor

I have an XBOX One Day One addition.  It seems that maybe the PS4 in standby may affect it too.  After I diverted the XBOX to wireless the problems stopped.  But this morning my wife said that the recordings from last night were garbled. And the only thing on the switch using stuff last night was the PS4 in low power standby.  I've ordered two NETGEAR GS108Ev3 8-Port Gigabit Smart Managed Plus Switch | ProSAFE Lifetime  switches.  The description said it has VLAN capability and IGMP snooping. They should be in tomorrow.  I will test if one works.  If it doesn't, I may need you guys to help me set up both to completely segment away the ATT stuff on it's own VLAN.  Thanks for y'alls continued attention and help.

Message 14 of 32
ACE - Expert

Running two tagged VLANs over the one cable will isolate the behaviors that are causing you issues, if they are spec-conforming.  I'm not certain that they are spec-conforming.  Running two 100 Mbps Ethernet's over one cable (as my thoughts described) may also isolate the problem, or it just may carry it upstream to the DVR.

Message 15 of 32
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support