that1chic's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, May 23rd, 2015 9:42 AM

My S20-S1A randomly mutes my TV. Sick of restarting the stupid box. Help?

Brand new remote. My old remote did it once in a while but this is a several times a day thing. I don't watch that much TV, either. O.o Please help before I get destructive. Do I have to call to get the box replaced? I hate calling them. The auto answer robot is mean and it hates me. 😞

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

The STB IR receiver corrupts the IR signal for some activity to be a mute of the STB. Perhaps overloads the IR receiver to corrupt it into STB mute is more accurate.

Once it happens, the easiest solution is to reprogram the remote to control audio on the STB. The S10 remote is reprogrammed using the 955 code (att/ok-955-enter)

The S20 remote is easier. See these directions Setting Volume Controls) - http://www.att.com/media/att/2014/support/pdf/S-20_U-verse_remote_user_guide.pdf

To prevent it - Cover the IR receiver on the STB with a barely transparent material. This tape does it well - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-30002664/202741845#specificatio

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Would it be easier to get a new box? Do you know if the wireless boxes have this problem?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Many customers would do anything not to have to call att.

Once you have the IR sensor covered, you should not have a problem.

It may or may not happen with a new box. It seems to be more software & room conditions than hardware. It was very common about five years ago & went away & has reappeared with the latest rollout.

You could leave the remote programmed to control the STB volume, but it is an effort & you ill miss some dialog when it happens.

Best solution is to cover the IR sensor.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.