bethanyhutton's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, November 10th, 2012 2:48 PM

Moving Uverse TV to different room in house

We are about to start doing repairs to the room where our Uverse tv is currently located and we need to move it into a different room temporarily. I chatted with a guy from AT&T who said I could do it as a self-install or be charged $149 for a technician to come out and do it. Obviously I opted for the self-install and he emailed me instructions. However, the instructions don't talk about what to do about the cord coming in from the wall from outside. Does anyone know if I'll have to have a technician come out to move since I have a cord coming from the outside? Thanks for any help!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You can't just move the RG to another outlet.  It has a dedicated jack that it must be plugged into.  Maybe use a long cord temporally to move it until the remodel is done?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

bethanyhutton - What do you mean - cord coming from outside? Is it COAX or cat5? Do you have two boxes at this location - an RG and a DVR? Do you have more TVs?
Is the RG connected to the wall & this extra cord from the outside?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I'm not really sure. 🙂 we have a DVR receiver, which is the one I'm referring to, & a regular one in the bedroom. There is a cord coming from outside to the receiver & we also have a phone jack going to our wireless box & a cord is going from the wireless box to the tv receiver. I'm sorry I don't know any of the technical terms. 😕

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

bethanyhutton - I have to agree with BeeBeeSA. You need to have att do any changes.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Ok, so there's a phone cord going from the U-verse tv box to the modem that is connected to the tv box and makes the wireless work. You're saying it would be fine to get an extended phone cord and leave the modem box in the room where the work is going to be done plugged up to the phone jack and the cord going outside and just move the tv box into the other room? Would just a regular phone cord work?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

bethanyhutton - Probably. You could try it.
You can usually replace/extend existing connections - one for one.

I was trying to answer your original request for help but gave up because there are too many possibllities & you were not making an effort to answer my questions. And, I did not even ask enough questions.
How about providing the numbers off the boxes and the label on the jack that the tel cord is plugged in to and the label the wire from outside is plugged in to.

My current thinking is that the wire from outside is the feed for the house & the back feed to your other TV - That you have U-verse voice & the telephone cord feeds dial tone to your phone jacks.

So, if the cord from outside reaches where you want the TV - that part is done. You can just plug one phone in to the box where that tel cord is or connect it to any jack that now has dial tone.
But, that is just a wild guess. You can try anything. Just remember how to put it back together.

Maybe you have an INID & the cable from outside only feeding the one TV. That is why I need to know what it is connected to. I guess it does not matter if you do not have to extend it. The open question  is  - Is that tel cord to feed your phones ot does it feed all your service? If you disconnect it do you lose TV?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I'm sorry - I just didn't know what a COAX cable and those other ones are so I wasn't sure. We don't have Uverse voice so we don't have a home telephone at all. I think I'm going to try the extended phone cord and see if that works. I really do appreciate you helping me. I really don't want to pay $149 to move it temporarily since it will be moved right back to the same place eventually.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Now that I think about it, when I remodeled my living room I brought in one of those cheap plastic patio end tables from outside and just set the RG and DVR on it.  I set the RG on their first and then set the DVR on top of that.  Then on top of the DVR I put a small block of wood and then loosly covered the equipment with a piece of thin plastic sheeting.  I taped the plastic at each leg so it wouldn't blow up while the crew was working.  The block of wood on top of the DVR allowed circulation of air rather than the plastic being right on top of the DVR covering the cooling holes.

This is simular to what I used:

Adams Mfg Corp Amesbury 16

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.