For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Travel885's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Sunday, September 8th, 2019 2:16 AM

Installing UVerse TV DVR receiver on private network?

I'm having UVerse internet (Fiber) and TV installed on Tuesday. Years ago I had both ATT services, but my internal house physical network is now different and I want to understand the topology options before the installer comes.

Currently I have Spectrum cable. My network looks like: (cable modem) --> (Eero Pro gateway) --> (LAN switch (wiring closet)) --> (LAN switch (Media room)) --> Media room devices. Internal network is 10.13.2.0/24.

My question is: Can the UVerse TV DVR plug directly into my 10.13.2.0 LAN network switch in the media room and function correctly? Or (as previously installed) does the ATT UVerse modem have two ethernet cables out of it, one for general purpose LAN traffic (going into my Eero Pro gateway) and one going directly into the back of the UVerse receiver on a ATT "private" network segment?

TIA

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

My question is: Can the UVerse TV DVR plug directly into my 10.13.2.0 LAN network switch in the media room and function correctly?

DVR must be connected (ethernet) directly to the att gateway.  If you add wireless att receivers their att WAP must be ethernet connected to the gateway as well (gateway has 4 ethernet ports).  That WAP is the only way the wireless receivers can communicate with the DVR and gateway.  You're free to use the remaining ethernet ports as you see fit.  If you want to add your own router for your own networking then that router must be connected to the gateway.  If you need more ethernet ports from the gateway then you can use an unmanaged gigabit ethernet switch.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks you very much for the reply. Is there an option to connect via COAX the whole house DVR to the ATT gateway? Or is CAT5 the only option?

I saw references on the ATT forums to UVERSE being able to use either method to connect back to the gateway. While I can see ethernet being preferred and easier, I only have one ethernet run to the media room and I'd like to keep that on my private network and use RG6 between the ATT gateway and DVR.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

I know you can coax from the gateway to the dvr because the dvr has a video in coax connection (at least the VIP2250 dvr I have does).  Wired receivers I guess support video-in (HPNA) coax connections so I suppose in theory you could have a full HPNA setup via coax (I say I guess since I only have wireless receivers and you cannot do that with them - ethernet yes, coax no).  Not sure how this works though since the gateway only has one coax connection.  Need some kind of splitter, or more probably a diplexer.

Aside from potential signal strength due to range problems, what's wrong with using wireless receiver?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I only need one receiver and it has to be a DVR. I thought the DVR STBs had to be hard wired via either ethernet or RG6 to the gateway?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

DVR is always hard wired.  I thought you were talking about additional receivers besides the dvr.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.