Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to set up wireless tv receiver with no access point modem

Highlighted
Contributor

How to set up wireless tv receiver with no access point modem

I'm trying to hookup my new gateway wireless tv receiver and it says to press and hold the WPS button on your access point. (That's not on the gateway) . This is the only piece of equipment I have. So where is the access point on the gateway? I have followed the directions as told and even watched the video, and still I can't get it to connect. My tv hooked to the wired receiver works perfectly. I have 2 wireless receivers. Please advise on how to fix this problem. Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: How to set up wireless tv receiver with no access point modem

The gateway is your modem and it is not wireless. The Set Top Boxes can be wireless.  If you have wireless STBs, you have a WAP.

Are you trying to hook up an extra wireless STB?  How many wireless STBs do you have working now?  With some exceptions, accounts are limited to 2.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
Employee
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎10-27-2016 3:41 AM

Re: How to set up wireless tv receiver with no access point modem

Which gateway do you have?

Were the wireless receivers previously working?

If yes, what changed?

A standard installation using wireless receivers would have a gateway with a wireless access point (WAP) connected to one of the (4) yellow Ethernet ports on back of gateway. 

The WAP may or may not be located next to the gateway. If had issue with receiving a strong signal the WAP could be located elsewhere, need to follow cabling. The model number would be either VEN 401, VEN 501 or 2500 they are black, smaller in size and somewhat resembles an electric pencil sharper. If locate the WAP there is a WPS button on front side with the lights.

The more rare install, have a 5268 gateway, no physical WAP as the tech installed using the internal 5G network of the gateway. This requires a unique SSID. If you factory reset the gateway or changed the 5G network name and/or password the wireless receiver would need to reconnect to the gateway using the WPS button on front panel of the 5268 gateway.

If performed a factory reset, by default 5G WPS is disabled. You would need to access the settings (192.168.1.254) move to the WiFi page, scroll down, change the SSID of 5G network to be different from 2.4G SSID. Enable WPS. Scroll down and SAVE settings, this will require the Device Access Code found on the side of gateway (not the WiFi password, device access password). Once completed, reboot the wireless receiver, when prompted depress OK button, have two minutes to get to gateway and depress WPS button, hold for several seconds. In 5 minutes check to see if have connection.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support