robbcaff's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, June 22nd, 2017 10:09 PM

Ethernet splitter

I have U-verse TV (coax from the router) and a single very high-speed Ethernet cable terminating in my wall in my living room. I attach this Ethernet cable to my computer, but need to add an additional component connected via Ethernet. When I take this cable and attach it to a 5-port switch, it will still only connect one computer.

I spoke with someone at AT&T recently who told me I needed to get an actual AT&T Ethernet splitter to connect a second computer. Is this accurate, and if so, where can I get one?

Thanks,

robb

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

What kind of switch is it?  Some of the older ones had a dedicated "up link" port.  Plug the wall to the uplink and the client devices into the others.  Also, if there is one that says "WAN" do not use that one.  Plug them into all that say LAN or just a number.

If it still won't work try another switch.  You do not need anything special from AT&T.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

I am not sure what kind of a switch you are using, but what you should use is a multi-port ethernet switch like this one.

Here's pretty good video explaining the ethernet switch.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks to you both for your quick responses. Last night I hooked up my little Cisco 5-port switch and it is now working. Not sure why it didn't work previously, but good to go now!

Have a great weekend!

Robb

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.