bcassill's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, July 20th, 2013 11:00 AM

Closed

Does Uverse use existing TV Coax Cables and wall plates, or does it REQUIRE Phone Jacks, via normal twisted pair phone jacks??

We only have Cable TV wired in our house.

We do NOT have any phone jacks anywhere in the house.

Does ATT Uverse use existing TV Coax Cable, or does it require traditional phone RJ11 type jacks??

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Hello bcassill, I understand you will be having your U-verse installation soon and are concerned about what wiring will be used. If you already have Coax cable throughout your home and it is RG6, the technicians will test that cable to ensure it will handle U-verse services without interruptions. Replacement of all fittings will be necessary. If the technician determines the Coax cable present is not useable new lines will be installed. The use of Cat5e VS Coax is determined by the technician during the installation. Smiley Wink

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

U-verse can use a variety of cables to get the job done.

It can use telephone wiring, a dedicated Cat 5 run, or coax to feed the signal inside the home from the NID on the back of the house.  It can use either coax or twisted pair to deliver signals from the RG to the set top boxes.  The Coax will have to be of sufficient quality and with well-fitted ends.  Your U-verse installer would verify this at installation.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, but, how do they run the Cat-5, if needed??

It would be pretty difficult to run new cable thru enclosed walls.  Granted, our basement ceiling is all open, giving access to below the walls of the main floor, but, still, trying to run cable, boxes into the existing walls and such would be a challenge??

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

That is correct bcassill, this is why we depend on the technicians judgement to determine if a new line may be installed. It is not always accessible to install a new line. Coax and Cat5 can be fed into the wall if there are no fire-blocks in the way and there is adequate attic space for the technician to work. The technician may provide other options to install a new line and they will discuss any alternatives with you once they are on site.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

hmmm, it'll be interesting...

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I want to move my tv and my phone jack wiring is not long alone enough, can I just buy longer phone wiring? Is it a special kind I need?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

In the future, start a new thread. This one is 7 years old. 

Are you trying to move the gateway(combo modem/router or the set top box connected to the tv?

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

3 years ago

If it's not a DVR, consider a wireless receiver. It would still need a power outlet, but it doesn't need a coax or ethernet connection.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.